Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

The day came around faster than I had intended it to. The Easter holidays were here and I was sitting on the edge of my bed, my heart pounding, a rucksack packed with towels and a bathing suit, plus a change of clothes. Who knew one beach trip would get me so worked up? It wasn’t just any beach trip, I told myself. It was couple day, as I’d nicknamed it. The minute hand on the clock seemed to speed up as I began to worry. Was I ready for this? What if it ruined everything? I didn’t know, but would soon.

And then it was time, just like that. I picked up the rucksack, swinging the straps over my shoulder. It was early April, but we were having freaky weather. It was hot enough to wear shorts, so that was exactly what I’d decided to wear. Definitely a rarity.

            “Lacey! Lewis is here,” my Mum called. It was just like the usual, but something inside of me felt extremely different.

            “Coming,” I shouted back.

I only had myself to blame, really. I’d bought the tickets. And now we were a couple for a day.

Lewis stood at the door, leaning lazily against the frame. A taunting grin spread across his lips. Rolling my eyes, I put on my sandals. He smiled brilliantly once I was finished, and took my hand in his. And I couldn’t protest, because I’d promised him. Mum raised her eyebrows, but said nothing.

            “Bye honey, have a good day,” she wished before we closed the door behind us.

Squinting in the sunlight, I placed a hand in front of my eyes. It was only nine in the morning but the heat was rising.

            “You’re doing well, Jennings,” Lewis commented, squeezing my hand that was still in his.

            “Couples don’t call their partners by their surnames,” I teased. “You should at least call me Lacey today.”

            “Sorry, Lacey,” he apologised, emphasising my name. I laughed.

            “Come on, we’d better get walking. The bus will be here soon.”

And so we walked, our hands swinging between us, to the bus stop that perhaps began this strange relationship. The bus stop looked exactly as it had the last time. This time, however, we didn’t have to wait long. It came almost as soon as we arrived. Lewis handed the driver the tickets, and we climbed aboard. It was almost empty, surprisingly on such a hot day.

            “Want to listen to my iPod again?” he asked me as we took seats next to each other. I nodded. It was a little bit de-ja vu when Avril Lavigne came on again.

            “You planned that,” I giggled.

            “Yeah, I did,” he admitted. “But it was funny though, you have to admit that.”

            “Definitely.”

Some things did change though. This time, I didn’t fall asleep. We chatted easily for the whole journey, something I hadn’t expected.

            “So, girlfriend, you look cute in your shorts,” he complimented. Of course, me being Lacey Jennings, I blushed. It felt strange, him calling me his girlfriend.

            “Why thank you, boyfriend,” I replied. I was also weird saying that word. It felt foreign on my lips.

            “What happened to you? Usually you’d slap me or something for saying that.”

            “I’m your girlfriend; you’re allowed to say that.”

            “I wish we’d done this earlier then,” he acknowledged, to which I laughed.

Eventually, we arrived, the smell of sea and sand familiar to me. I’d missed this place.

            “I’ll race you to the sea!” Lewis shouted, making me freeze. Rucksack swinging behind me, I chased him through the crowds of people, reaching the beach. We charged happily across the sands, neck and neck before kicking off our shoes and bounding into the crashing waves. A small squeal escaped my lips.

            “It’s freezing in here!” I yelled, the water swishing around my ankles.

            “Just like last time, she comments on the coldness of the sea,” Lewis teased. “Of course it is – it may be hot, but the sea hasn’t had the entire summer to warm up.”

            “I don’t think I’ll need my bathing suit, there’s no way I’m swimming in here.”

            “Awwh, and I wanted to see you in a bikini.” This time I did slap him.

            “Hey – you said I could say things like that.”

            “Too far, Lewis, too far.” It took all of my strength not to call him Jackson. I splashed him with the icy water, kicking it with my foot.

            “At least this time I came in,” he reminisced. “We might as well enjoy it while we can.”

And so, like younger children, we played in the sea, chasing each other and jumping the wild waves. Then a moment came. We were stood opposite each other, drenched in the salty water, our clothes dripping. His hair was pushed back, the ends wet from our water fight. I bit my lip as his eyes drifted to it.

And then like a hero saving his princess, he swept me into his arms, kissing me with held up passion until I returned it, with equal wanting. It felt so right, so beautiful – as if it was the only thing that mattered to me. Something I’d never expected from him. And you know what they say. Kisses don’t lie.

Short, I know, but I had to explain that I changed the title again after writing this. Kisses Don't Lie - that Rihanna for the title. It's a song from her album, A Girl Like Me. I found the title of it perfect for this story as soon as I'd written this chapter.

Anyway, less frequent uploads to follow - I have five exams! Five! I've got Biology, Critical Thinking, Physics, Decision 1 (Maths) and Core 3 (Maths). The next few weeks are going to kill me!

Also, The Screaming Mind is last in the Watty Awards. I think it might be a title thing - the title of mine isn't exactly gripping. Oh well. I'm not bothered - it reached 1000 reads because of it.

Oh yeaaaah, please help this story reach 50000 reads? It's almost there guys, thanks!! <3333