Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Acrobat was fun, not as sickly as Twist. It was more like you were actually an acrobat flying through the air smoothly. As expected, Lewis didn’t like this ride as much because it didn’t make me react like on Twist.

We had been on many other rides, and I was beginning to get a little tired. Sometimes, having VIP tickets at a huge theme park took the life out of you. There was one ride left however, and it was a ride that Lewis had been avoiding since we got here.

            “I think it’s time we went Jennings,” he said as we sat in the restaurant.

            “Nu-uh Jackson, we’ve still got to go on Death Drop,” I teased, smiling a huge grin. Something told me that he didn’t like this ride.

            “There’ll be a huge queue,” he said. What a stupid excuse.

            “We have VIP tickets Jackson, come on, before the park closes.” Reluctantly, he took the hand I had held out and let me pull him across half of the park to the section with Death Drop in it. I really was mean.

            “Are you really going to make me do this?” he moaned as we stood waiting for the ride to come into the station.

            “Yes I am Jackson, and we’re going on the front row too.”

            “No, please no Jennings, not the front row!” he pleaded, going down on his knees to beg.

            “Don’t be a wimp Jackson, it can’t be that bad.” Just as I said that, the ride pulled into the station. The people on it looked exhilarated by it, which made me happy. I liked the thrill.

We sat in the centre of the front row, as I had promised. Lewis had paled slightly, and I could tell he was worried.

            “Does little Jackson want to hold my hand?” I joked. Instead of replying, he shot me a death glare. Woah, he did not like this ride at all. The attendants fastened our harnesses, and we were ready to go. Slowly, it edged forwards, and reached the incredibly slow chain lift. “Hey, Jackson, seeing as this ride is taking so long, why don’t you tell me your life story?” He chuckled, but stopped too soon. The ride reached its highest point.

            “Liking it now Jennings?” he laughed as he saw my face turn deathly white. The ride stopped just in front of the biggest drop I had ever seen. Out of fear, I grabbed his hand.

            “Why am I doing this Jackson?” I complained loudly. I now knew why he hated this ride. In return, he squeezed my hand.

            “Well Jennings, time to drop to your death,” he teased me. I squeezed his hand even tighter. The ride tipped us over the edge and left us there.

However then, as I looked towards the bottom of the drop where all of the people were standing, it wasn’t the drop that scared me – it was one of the faces staring up at us. Quickly, I snatched away my hand from his, but didn’t have time to see his reaction, because the ride finally dropped down the colossal drop. I let out a scream of fright as it rushed downwards and more wind battered my anxious face.

            “Hell no,” I heard Lewis shout. I guess he saw the face at the bottom of the drop too. We finished the rest of the rollercoaster which was a breeze to what we had done, and the ride pulled back into the station.

            “Jackson, please tell me I didn’t just see who I thought I saw,” I whispered breathlessly as we got off the ride. We both looked pale now – and it wasn’t from the ride.

            “We’d better go,” he replied quickly, grabbing my arm and pulling me away from Death Drop and near to the entrance.

Just as we were going to get on the train and the doors were about to close to our carriage, they opened again, and there stood the person we were most trying to avoid. She sat in silence at first, opposite Lewis. I looked at my feet as if they had changed since last time I saw them.

            “Look, I can explain,” Lewis began, breaking the tension made by the silence.

            “There’s nothing to explain Lewis,” the girl shot back at him. I sat there, listening to them argue with each other.

            “Nothing happened though,” Lewis complained.

            “How am I supposed to believe that? You were holding hands for crying out loud!”

            “It was my fault,” I interrupted. “I grabbed his hand because I was scared.”

            “I thought you were my friend Lacey.” I looked up at her face and guilt washed over me as I saw she was crying. The train pulled up again, and we got out.

            “We’re over Lewis,” she mumbled, pushing past him. Then she turned towards me. Find another seat in tutor Lacey, the one next to me is taken.” Confidently, she strutted away from us, leaving us watching, dumbstruck. I had just lost a friend in Em.