Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Kara and I approached Olivia with huge grins on our faces.

          “So Olivia,” Kara teased, patting her on the back. Olivia turned around, and then frowned as she saw the smiles on our faces that must have made us look a little crazy.

         “What’s the deal, you guys?” she asked, faking panic.

         “Well, we thought it’d be a fabulous idea if your sister and I gave you a make over,” I explained.

         “Oh no, please no,” she protested.

         “You’re not getting out of this one little sis.”

         “Can I at least pick my outfit?” she complained.

         “Okay then, we have a deal.”

We sat her down on the chair, with her back to the mirror on my dresser so she couldn’t see the outcome of our experiment. We made a selection of make up and did the full works. Mascara, blusher, eyeliner etc. Then Kara brought out the hairbrushes and hair bands.

          “I’ll leave this to you Kara,” I said, knowing when my work was done. I was a hopeless hair stylist.

I watched Kara miraculously pull up Olivia’s long hair into an intricate up-do. I never understood how she actually did it so well, but it worked and that was all that mattered. Finally, the poor girl was ready and when I saw her – I had to gasp. She looked amazing and there was no sign that she was ill at all. When she turned around and saw her reflection the smile on her lips reached her eyes and I smiled too.

          “You two are the best!” she exclaimed in excitement. “But we’re going to be late for dinner if you don’t get ready soon.”

In my happiness I’d completely forgotten about getting myself ready. It seemed Kara had done exactly the same thing. I looked at the pile of clothes on my bed and thought about what to wear. Finally, I settled on wearing a new dress. It was cyan and reached my knees, flaring from the waste. I put on skin coloured tights because it was cold and let Kara do my hair after I’d done my make up. Kara also wore a dress, but it was straight and strapless. She looked really pretty.

         “Dinner’s ready!” Mum called, making me drop the hairbrush I was running through Kara’s hair. She’d left it down which always suited her. Soft curls gave a bouncy look to it.

We bounded down the stairs in excitement for them to see Liv. She made her way down the stairs gracefully and carefully so she didn’t fall. It was like old times again as we saw her grin happily. Perhaps she was thankful for the distraction.

         “Don’t you too look beautiful,” my Mum said, the others nodding in agreement.

         “You haven’t seen Liv yet,” Kara added. Finally, Olivia entered the dining room. The room became silent as everyone was speechless.

         “Honey you look stunning,” Kara’s Mum exclaimed, giving her youngest daughter a huge hug.

         “You too have done a wonderful job,” my Mum added, looking at Kara and I. We giggled at the compliments.

          “We had fun doing it,” I laughed.

We all sat down at the large table – that should have sat six, but we’d added an extra chair with a cushion on it for my Dad. He complained jokingly at how we always made him sit on the uncomfortable chair whenever this happened. Mum brought out the food and it was perfect; she’d outdone herself. Nothing was going wrong, everything happened the way it was supposed to.

After dinner, we had Kara’s Mum’s famous Christmas pudding that she baked every year. It was fantastic but that was expected. Then of course, it was time to pull Christmas crackers.

          “Pull this one with me, Lacey,” Kara said, tapping me on the shoulder enthusiastically. I grabbed the other end of the cracker and tugged on the end, but the cracker would not snap! I pulled harder and so did Kara, and eventually we were both standing at the side of the table and pulling with as much strength as we could muster. Finally, the cracker snapped with a bang which made everyone in the room jump in fright and Kara and I both fell backwards simultaneously, both losing our footing.

The room burst into laughter and even Kara and I joined in even if it was at our expense. After all the pulling, the prize inside the cracker was a pencil sharpener. It got left on the table for the rest of the meal.

After the crackers were pulled, we went to sit in the living room to watch the Wizard of Oz together. It was on every single Christmas so it had become a family tradition to sit and watch it. Everyone sang along to the songs – especially Somewhere over the Rainbow because we all knew the words. I even recorded it to make everyone laugh later because we were all so out of tune.

As the day drew on, it was time to get ready for the Christmas party, but I had something else to tend to first. A certain visitor of mine was due to come around any minute now.

OMG I made you all wait so long again :( I'm just so busy at college at the moment - it's so tiring! Maths and Further Maths are really difficult. I've sort of skipped a year in Maths so I'm in a class with people who are one, two or even three years older than me. Talk about being the baby of the class. And dear - Decision maths :S Anyone done this before? I know what I'm doing in it but I always make too many mistakes with it all because it's a nightmare!

Well, it's half term now so other than doing my Maths, Physics and Biology homework I should be able to write some more of this. :D Woohoo.

Soooo, thank you for the response this story is getting - I never expected it to be like this at all! <3 <3