Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The bell rang, signalling that I was late to afternoon registration. I was so going to kill Lewis if I ever got the chance. About three minutes late, I stumbled through the door to the Maths room that was my tutor’s. I’d had her for Maths itself last year, but now I had the head of department. It was a shame really.

            “Sorry I’m late,” I mumbled as I entered.

            “Where’ve you been?” she asked me impatiently. Somebody obviously told her abut me getting sent out of English on the first day back.

            “I had to see Mr Kerrington,” I explained. She frowned.

            “Lewis had to see him too, and he made it on time,” she scorned. Again, my emotions took an angry turn. Looking at Lewis, I scowled angrily. He just pasted a lovely fake grin on to his annoying little face.

            “It won’t happen again, Miss,” I apologised, and took my seat next to Em, who happened to be in my tutor.

For the five minutes we spend in tutor, I explained to Em about what happened in English and also what Mr Kerrington wanted, while she giggled at me in all the right places.

            “Don’t you think he’s cute though?” she interrupted as I was complaining about Lewis getting here on time.

            “No way,” I protested, denying it as soon as she spoke.

            “Oh I do,” she said dreamily. “He could be a decent boyfriend.”

            “Nu-uh, definitely not,” I disagreed. How could anybody find that annoying monster cute?

The bell rang again – saving me from Em’s Lewis fantasies, but before I could leave, Miss Dalton kept me behind. When everyone left, she finally spoke.

            “Why did you get sent out of Mr Kerrington’s lesson?” she asked, disappointedly.

            “Lewis Jackson stabbed me with a compass so I slapped him,” I said simply.

            “You know better than that Lacey,” was all she said.

            “Sorry, I won’t do it again – if only he’d just separate us!” I complained. She just shook her head.

            “You’re in year eleven now Lacey, I’m sure you can be mature about this,” she said. Saying goodbye, I left for Art, a lesson free of Lewis and full of Kara.

However, somebody was waiting for me outside.

            “In trouble again Jennings?” that horribly annoying voice said.

            “No thanks to you Jackson,” I shot at him angrily.

            “Well you could have walked quicker instead of lingering around avoiding me,” he argued in return.

            “I wasn’t avoiding you!” I objected, but he interrupted me.

            “You were, I don’t see why, I heard Em; she thinks I’m cute.”

            “I wasn’t and Em thinks everyone is cute.”

            “Do you think I’m cute?”

            “No!”

            “That was a quick denial Jennings.”

            “Because I hate you!” I yelled.

            “I’m not so sure,” he pondered.

            “Shut up Jackson,” I demanded, but he kept on talking.

            “Lacey loves me, she wants to kiss me,” he sang. He was so damn immature; I wanted to slap him again!

            “I’m going to art, Jackson, can’t be late again,” I said clearly, but he ignored me and continued to sing his little song. “And for the record, I could never love you.”

My last comment seemed to shut him up, so I made my way to art, arriving just in time for the lesson. Kara had saved me a seat, thankfully. The teacher began explaining that this was an important year where we would have the exam and complete coursework. Art, after maths, was one of my best lessons so I didn’t need to worry that much.

When she set us the task of drawing a self portrait, Kara began to ask questions.

            “What’s with you and Lewis?” she asked curiously. I almost wanted to rip her head off, but I wasn’t a vampire, and she was my best friend.

            “Nothing, he just irritates the hell out of me,” I explained.

            “Sure,” she said sarcastically.

            “I’m serious, I hate him,” I argued back.

            “Stop chatting girls and get working, I expect better Lacey,” the teacher said, pointing at my work. The portrait I was drawing was far from my best.

            “I’ll rectify it,” I muttered. Kara just giggled.

            “You so like him,” she whispered when the teacher left.

            “Definitely not,” I replied angrily. She was getting just as irritating as Lewis himself.

            “Definitely yes,” she argued playfully.

            “Shut up,” I told her, but I smiled to show I didn’t mean it nastily.

            “Go for it Lace,” she said very quietly.

            “Nothing’s going to happen Kara,” I replied, raising my voice at the end.

            “Whatever you say babe,” she teased.

            “Don’t call me that!” I complained a little too loudly.

            “If you girls don’t stop gossiping I’ll put you both in detention tomorrow,” the teacher snapped at us. We both apologised, and Kara finally let me get on with my portrait for the rest of the lesson.

At the end of the lesson, I examined my work. It wasn’t my best, but even that was pretty good. Staring back at me from the page of my sketch pad was a girl with wavy brown hair and dark eyes. I wasn’t beautiful like Kara, but I wasn’t ugly. Kara, however, had made a mess of her self portrait. She wasn’t a brilliant artist, and obviously talking to me had made hers even worse than it should have been.

            “You rectified that well,” the teacher complimented. “But you can do better.”

            “I know, I’ll try and concentrate more,” I apologised, knowing that she was disappointed that my work wasn’t up to my ability.

            “Just a warning, if you two have another lesson like that, I’ll separate you,” she cautioned. We both nodded and promised not to talk again, but it was bound to be a promise we would break in the future.