Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I smiled as I realised that it was the final lesson of the day – Computer Studies. This class was slightly boring, but Kara, Ronan and I all had the class together. Unfortunately, Lewis was also in that class. Hopefully he would sit far, far away from us.

            “Hey there Jennings,” he called as I walked through the door. Shaking my head, I followed Kara to the seats that Ronan had saved for us.

            “What’s got you in a muddle?” Ronan asked me as I slammed my school bag on the floor.

            “Worst first day ever,” I grumbled. He chuckled. Why did everyone find it so damn hilarious?

            “Brighten up Lace, he’ll drop it sooner or later,” Kara encouraged. I wasn’t so sure. Why did he have to pick the most important year to annoy me?

Computer studies was passing without any incidents. Well, that was until somebody dropped something into my lap as I worked on the new topic: creating spreadsheets. Opening the note, I looked at what it read. Can I have your number? I ripped it into tiny pieces, got up from my computer and slammed them into the bin, even though the effect was not as I wished.

            “You shouldn’t let him get to you,” Ronan advised. I just shrugged my shoulders.

            “I can’t help it, he’s so irritating,” I complained. Kara giggled.

            “What did the note say then?” she asked me curiously.

            “He wanted my number,” I muttered, and she giggled even more.

            “Are you going to give it to him?” she questioned stupidly.

            “Hell no,” was my only reply. I already had to put up with him at school – never mind by text as well.

Home time. Finally. Bustling out of the school gates felt fantastic, because I wouldn’t have to see Lewis until tomorrow’s English lesson – and the after school class. Slowly, I strolled along the road outside of school and looked for my Dad’s car. He usually parked quite far away, especially as right outside school was filled with parents worried about their little year seven children on their first week.

            “Hey Jennings!” I heard someone call from me behind me. Just what I needed, I thought sarcastically. As usual, I ignored the shout. “Jennings wait up!” he yelled again. Picking up speed, I walked faster, hoping to find my Dad’s car sooner rather than later. However, the idiot had caught up.

            “What do you want, Jackson?” I grumbled loudly.

            “Your number, Jennings,” he said.

            “Go to hell, Jackson,” I told him angrily. He chuckled at my response.

            “Go to prom with me Jennings,” he joked. It really was irritating that the only prom invitation you were going to get was a joke.

            “Fine Jackson,” I said. What did I just say? Did I just agree to go to prom with him? I still had eight freaking months until prom.

            “Really?” he asked, surprised. “I was only messing around.”

            “I know, that’s why I said it,” I answered, letting out a giggle. That silenced him for a while, and finally, I spotted my Dad’s car. Just as I got in the front seat, I heard somebody shout:

            “We’ll have fun at prom Jennings,” and I didn’t catch the rest from driving away.

After a minute or so, Dad asked.

            “Who’s that then?” I almost punched him in the face. Couldn’t an hour pass without mention of Lewis?

            “An idiot,” I muttered.

            “What’s his name, and if he’s an idiot, why are you going to prom with him?”

            “His name’s Lewis and it’s a long story,” I grumbled.

            “I have time,” Dad encouraged.

            “Just thought it was a joke, that’s all,” I explained, and Dad just nodded.

            “Whatever you say,” he chuckled.

            “Dad!” I moaned. Why didn’t anybody understand? The rest of the journey was in silence, thankfully.

At home, I had my dinner, and then went upstairs to avoid questions from Mum, who could tell that I was annoyed. I booted up my laptop to check my Facebook. Everyone was talking about their first day back, and I saw that Lewis had put his status as best first day back ever, right Jennings? which annoyed me even more. He had even clicked the like button on his own status. How sad could he get? Not bothering to give him the satisfaction of a reply, I turned off the laptop – it was just making me angrier.

Sitting on my bed, I switched on my phone and picked up a good book. I had always loved reading, and it always calmed me down. After half an hour, I received a text from Kara. Hav u cn Lewis’ status? I almost slammed the phone down on the floor, but refrained from doing so, because I needed it. Yeah was my simply texted reply. Perhaps from that, she would realise that I didn’t want to talk about it. Em’s havin a bk 2 skwl party 2moz nite, cumin? was her next text. It was Friday tomorrow, yes, our school was strange as the first day back was a Thursday. Sure, g2g, c u 2moz I replied. I didn’t really want to talk much longer.

Finishing my English homework for Mr Kerrington, I decided to get an early night after my awful day, and got ready for bed. Hopefully, Lewis would have forgotten all about me by tomorrow.