Chapter Twenty-Eight

The party had already started when I got inside. Hanging my coat up, I went into the living room to see my family and Kara’s laughing and joking with each other. Dad was doing a crazy dance in the centre of the room.

          “Mum!” I shouted over the music. “Lewis and his Mum are coming over in a minute.”

Tapping me on the back Kara drags me to dance too.

          “We began the surprise party without you because you were taking so long,” she explained.

          “It doesn’t matter,” I replied.

          “What took you so long?” she asked. “You were out there ages.”

          “We exchanged presents.”

          “Awh, what did he get you?”

          “He made me a CD with all the tracks we both like.”

          “No way!”

The doorbell rang, interrupting our conversation.

            “I’ll get it,” I said, smiling at Olivia as I went passed.

Lewis and his Mum are stood at the door when I open it. Their cheeks are red and the icy weather outside made me cold.

            “Come in,” I say, grinning. Both of them wipe their shoes on the doormat and then take them off.

I’ve not seen Lewis’ Mum so close up before. The resemblance is great.

            “We’re just having a bash of crazy dancing at the moment. Excuse my Dad – his moves are from ancient times.” Lewis’ Mum laughs.

            “Ah – hello Mrs Jackson,” my Mum said, peeping around the doorframe. “Come in, we’ve got some food here.”

            “Please, call me Lorraine,” she called back. “And you too, Lacey.”

Dad was still dancing, but this time with Kara’s family. Sitting on the sofa was Olivia, laughing at how silly her parents looked.

            “Don’t mind them,” I whispered to Lewis. “They’re in a world of their own.”

            “It’s great. I think Mum’s enjoying it.”

After everyone was done dancing, I offered to put my CD on. They all agreed which seemed to please Lewis.

            “The happy couple must dance!” Kara exclaimed over the soft sounds of the music.

           “Yes, they must,” Olivia joined in. Lewis and I both groaned simultaneously which made everybody laugh even more. But after much persistence we gave in.

Lewis and I slow dance under the light shade – not properly. We just sort of moved to the music, trying not to step on each other’s toes.

            “Hey, they’re under the mistletoe,” Olivia said, pointing up at the light shade. Sure enough, hanging under the light was a piece of scraggly mistletoe. Lewis met my eyes, and I’m sure we thought exactly the same thing.

            “Don’t even think about it,” we both said at the same time.

            “Kiss kiss kiss!” they all chanted over and over again.

            “Shall we?” Lewis asked, rolling his eyes.

            “Fine,” I grumbled.

            “Go on Lacey,” Kara teased, pulling a provoking expression.

We kissed briefly, promising ourselves that it was because of Olivia. The room cheered and then we parted, sitting back down on empty seats.

            “Lacey has a boyfriend,” Dad taunted, ruffling my hair.

            “Dad, we’re not together,” I replied truthfully.

            “Could have fooled me.” I groan at his answer. Why did nobody understand? We weren’t a couple, and would never be a couple. It was just innocent fun.

The party ended soon after our kiss because Olivia got a little tired. Lewis and his Mum left first, thanking us for the fun. Kara and her family left a little later, leaving just Mum, Dad and I.

            “Lewis is a nice lad,” Mum commented. I rolled my eyes in response.

            “He’s just a friend,” I replied. “That is all.”

            “Whatever, Lacey. There’s more going on. We should know.”

            “Believe what you want,” I said, before going upstairs to get ready for bed.

Christmas had been the best yet – I’d had so much fun. Being with Lewis had made it even more special.