Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Looking in the mirror, I examined my appearance. It had taken me an hour and a half to get ready (because I couldn’t decide what to wear) and had eventually decided on a blue halter neck dress that came to above my knee. I’d curled my hair, so it fell in waves to my shoulders. My make up wasn’t too obvious but you could tell I was wearing it.

My phone buzzed, and I discovered Kara’s Mum would pick me up in ten minutes. Quickly, I found my small party bag as I liked to call it, and then put my phone inside. Tonight, I would be staying at Kara’s house, because it was easier for me to stay there for the night.

            “See you later Mum!” I yelled as I heard a car beep outside.

            “Have a good time honey – no drinking remember,” she warned.

            “Whatever Mum, see you tomorrow.” I ran out of the door and skipped down to the car, remembering to grab my jacket as I went.

In the car, Kara was sat in the back. She had on the strapless dress she said she would and her hair was straight, reaching her mid-back. She looked really pretty.

            “Love your hair Lacey,” she complimented. I smiled and returned the compliment. When we reached Em’s house, Kara’s Mum asked,

            “What time is the party ending girls?”

           “We’ll call you when we’re ready,” Kara replied. That could have meant anything, but her Mum didn’t seem to mind. This was the reason I was sleeping at Kara’s tonight – her Mum was so laid back!

Stepping out of the car, I was careful not to trip over in my heels. Kara linked my arm and we strolled up the path at the side of the driveway at Em’s. Ringing the doorbell, Em answered.

            “I’m so glad you both came!” she squealed excitedly, beckoning us to enter the house. I’d been to Em’s house before – it was huge. Her parents were away for work most of the time so she often had it to herself; like tonight.

            “Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” Kara said. She was quite the party girl. Em led us through the hallway and into the chill room. Em had her own bedroom, as well as the chill room, which she used for parties along with the huge conservatory type building on the back of the house. There was plenty of space.

            “Want a drink Lace?” she asked.

            “Not right now.” I didn’t want to start drinking right at this moment, as I wasn’t known for taking my drink well. Besides, only a few people were here, Kara and I were a little early.

As more people arrived, Em started up her iPod speakers and the music began to pump out. People began to dance, and Kara pulled me from my seat, drink and one hand and my hand in the other.

            “Come on Lace, loosen up a bit,” she shouted over the music. Finally agreeing, I picked up a plastic cup, took a gulp, and then went onto the ‘dance floor’. Swaying to the music, I let go a little, and quite frankly started to have an amazing time.

Half an hour of dancing must have passed, so I decided to sit down a bit and chat to people.

            “Just going sit down a bit Kara.”

            “Sure thing honey,” she replied. I grabbed another cup and sat down on one of the chairs that Em had put out.

            “Em looks pretty tonight, right Jennings?” Hell no, he did not just say that.

            “She always looks pretty,” I agreed. Finishing my drink, I got up to get another one. Lewis followed.

            “Can I hold your hand, Jennings?” Did he seriously just ask me to hold his hand after saying Em was pretty?

            “No thanks Jackson, it isn’t heavy.” Lewis laughed.

            “Good one.” He looked down at his feet.

            “Well I’m going to dance!” I announced, wiggling my way to the floor. My head had started to go a bit strange and I felt confident. “Hey Kara!” I yelled. “It’s our song.” The song Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner came on the speakers so I reached for her arm and we danced, as well as singing at the top of our voices.

The rest of the night whizzed by like a motorbike.

            “Jennings,” I faintly heard someone say. “Come with me.” Happily, without a care in the world, I followed the person outside. I wasn’t quite sure who it was, but to hell with it. The cool September air caressed my face, cooling me down as I had begun to get hot inside. “I’m a photographer Jennings, I’ve been looking for a face like yours for a long time.”

            “Yeah well Jackson, I’m a plastic surgeon, and I’ve been looking for a face like yours.” I stared into his eyes. He had nice eyes, they were a bright blue colour, I admitted. Not pulling away as he came closer, he whispered,

            “You make me crazy, Jennings.”

            “Well Jackson, you already made me crazy,” I slurred my words a little. He leaned forward, and still I didn’t move an inch.

            “Kissing is the language of love, so how about a conversation Jennings?” he murmured. His lips met mine, and without realising it, I discovered that I was kissing him back.

            “Jackson what the hell do you think you’re doing?” I screamed at him, coming to my senses.

            “But – I thought you wanted to?”

            “Yeah, like hell I did!” Storming back into the party, I looked for Kara.

Finding her, I pulled her into another room so that she could here me over the music.

            “Can we go home now?” I asked her. She looked puzzled.

            “But we’re having so much fun!”

            “Please Kara, it’s boring.”

            “Go on then, I suppose I’d better not drink anymore.” She took out her phone and called her Mum.

            “Can you pick us up now Mum? We’re bored,” I heard her tell her Mum. At least she didn’t seem to mind.

Kara went back into the main bit of the party to let everyone know we were going, and I stayed near the door, not wanting to see his face. Fifteen minutes later, Kara’s Mum finally arrived, and as we were driving home, I found myself falling asleep.

*Note. I'm sorry if it moved too fast or if it didn't flow well. This was the hardest to write so far.