Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

The teddy was exactly like the ones on my pyjamas, so I burst out laughing.

            “What’s so funny, Jennings?” he asked me, a puzzled look on his face.

            “It’s just – this is so unlike us,” I explained. It was his turn to laugh.

            “Isn’t it just? Now, say you love me now Jennings,” he teased.

            “You love me now?” I looked at my feet. That seemed more like a response I would give him.

            “Why can’t you just admit you like me?”

            “Because I don’t.” After I said those words though, I wasn’t sure if I was actually telling the truth. Today had been great, and I had to admit, I had enjoyed myself. He had surprised me in many ways – one was that he wasn’t always so annoying; and could be deep from time to time.

Lewis became silent after that, and as it was getting late, we decided it would be best to return home. The bus came at 5pm, and I tiredly stumbled on to it. Lewis handed the driver our tickets, and we sat by the window again, still not talking to each other. This made me wonder what had happened. I thought he was always joking when he declared random love for me. He’d always done it (right since year seven).

            “Do you want an earphone?” Lewis asked me, his usual cocky manner gone.

            “I’m sorry,” I whispered, not even answering the question.

            “Don’t mention it.”

            “No, really, I am sorry.”

            “Just drop it Jennings, it’s no big deal. Like I said, I like Em.” That one struck me like a lightning bolt. Why didn’t he take her out like he had me? Why me? He couldn’t just expect to love him like that. Yes, today, we’d been good friends – better than we’d ever been. I couldn’t control how I felt. My constant swirl of thoughts confused me, and soon enough, I was so tired in mind and physically, I fell asleep.

Waking up, I was comfy. I didn’t want to open my eyes yet. I could hear some music playing in my ear – it was a piano cover of a song I knew but couldn’t put my finger on the name of it. I felt something move beneath my head, and the position became uncomfortable.

            “Jackson?” I mumbled. Oh no. I did not just sleep on his shoulder.

            “Oh good – you’re awake, we’re nearly home,” he said, sounding happier than before.

            “Sorry for falling asleep on you – and nice song by the way.” He nodded. Oh, so he was still angry with me.

            “Jackson, what did I do wrong?”

            “It doesn’t matter.”

The bus pulled up at the next stop, and it was ours, so we got off, in silence. A perfect day had turned into a nightmare. Thanks Jackson, I thought to myself.

            “I’ll see you at school Jennings,” he sighed when we reached my house.

            “Yeah, I guess.” He turned and walked away.

Cracking the door open to my house, my Mum came rushing at me straight away.

            “Did you have a good time honey?”

            “I don’t want to talk about it, I’m going upstairs.” I took off my coat and ran quickly up to my room – escaping the questions that were bound to come soon.

I didn’t know why, but I started to cry. All of my emotions spilled out in the tears. I’d always promised myself that I’d never cry over a boy. I lied to myself. I wasn’t crying because of him. I was crying because I was confused. When really, I was crying because I was confused because of him.

Damn Jackson! Damn him! Why did he go from being annoying to sweet to freaking making me feel guilty? Was it my fault? Was it his fault? Both of our faults? Questions fired around my head like planets in orbit. How was I going to sit with him in English tomorrow? Did he really like Em? Did he even like me? Was it pointless worrying? Were we even friends? What was the reason for him taking me out? Did he do it on purpose just to mess with me? Was he playing me?

I heard a knock at the door.

            “Lacey honey, can I come in?” I heard my Mum say. Not wanting to worry her, I allowed her to come in. She was carrying a cup of hot chocolate and a cookie.

            “Thanks Mum,” I said as she handed them to me. The cup warmed up my hands and the comforting smell of the hot chocolate made me feel a bit better.

            “It’s okay, now what happened?” she encouraged. Mum was always like this – she didn’t like me to be upset.

            “It all went too fast; he’s such an idiot Mum!”

            “Oh sweetie, I wish I’d never made you go out now.” There was a guilty look in her eyes.

            “No, it was fun, but he can be so damn confusing.”

            “What did he do?”

            “It’s just, I’m never sure if he’s joking or being real, I don’t know if I like him or not, but I do know I don’t want to be with him, at least not yet, but I don’t think he understands the concept of friendship,” I blurted angrily, letting all of my confused feelings come out at once. Mum just looked puzzled.

            “It’ll be alright, watch it, you’ll be back to annoying each other tomorrow.”

            “Thanks Mum.”

After running a hot bath, I decided to get a really early night because of the eventful today. Tomorrow was going to be disastrous – I could tell.

Okay, sorry for the LONG wait. Perhaps upload time will be less frequent from now on - i've got my first exam on 16th May. Need to revise. But I'll try my best!! :) (Don't hate me after this chapter btw) :)