Chapter Thirty-One

It wasn’t long before I’d changed out of my uniform and into some comfortable clothes that were also warm, since it was a cold night for March.

Impatiently, I waited for Lewis to arrive so we could walk. While I waited, I paced my room, imagining what his house was like. Would he show me his bedroom or was that just weird? What if he wanted to take me to his room? I blushed furiously at the thought. I’d hardly been in the position before.

Quickly, I dialled Kara’s number.

            “Kara? I’m going to Lewis’ in like two minutes and I’m freaking out,” I babbled as soon as she answered her phone.

            “Lacey, what? Calm down. It’s going to be okay. It’s just Lewis, what do you think he’s going to do, take you hostage? Listen, now isn’t really a good time – just act like you normally do.”

            “Wait – Kara. How I normally do?”

            “Yeah, be your usual charming self.”

            “How?” She just laughed and then hung up. I could imagine her shaking her head and rolling her eyes.

Finally, the doorbell rang, making me freeze.

            “Lacey – Lewis is here!” Mum yelled up the stairs. The pitter patter of my feet seemed to be the most prominent sound.

            “Thanks Mum,” I said. “See you later.”

            “Bye honey, have a good time.”

            “See you Lacey!” Dad shouted from the lounge.

When the door was closed, Lewis grinned. He looked like an excited child who’d been told that they were getting a new toy for being well-behaved.

            “So,” he said, putting his hands in his pockets awkwardly. “I hope you weren’t waiting too long?” We began walking down my road.

            “Not at all,” I said, putting my own hands in my pocket.

            “Was your Mum pleased with your English?”

            “Yeah,” I replied. “She says congratulations to you too.”

            “I’ll thank her when I walk you back.”

We chatted aimlessly about school, the beach trip and general things.

            “Lacey, Lewis!” somebody called. It was Ronan and Sarah taking a walk themselves.

            “Hey you guys,” I said as they neared. “What are you to doing?”          

            “Just going to the shop,” Ronan said. “Sarah’s Mum needs some icing sugar for the cake she’s making.”

            “What about you two?” Sarah interjected

            “Lacey is just coming to mine,” Lewis explained, grinning.

            “So are you too officially together now?” Frantically, Lewis looked at me. I shook my head, my eyes wide with shock.

            “Not yet,” he answered for me, a hint of annoyance in his voice reaching my ears. I didn’t want to hear it.

            “Hurry up though – you two should double date us at prom. It would be so cool,” Sarah gushed.

            “Yeah come on Lacey, you and Jackson should get your acts together,” Ronan added.