Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Assembly passed far too quickly. All the way through it I had to put up with ecstatic squeals from Em, describing a kiss that seemed only half of what he gave me at the party (but we were a lot more than tipsy). I really wanted to describe it to her, but I wasn’t that nasty. As Kara said, it wouldn’t last long. Instead, I changed the subject to Sarah and Ronan – a relationship I was hoping would last. Ronan deserved some happiness. Now, I was slowly walking to English. It was just my luck that first lesson on a Monday was English. And English meant Lewis Jackson.

He was already sat down in his seat, with his head in his hands when I walked in. Confidently, I strode up to the desk, dumped my bag on the floor and took out my things. Lewis sat upright again, and looked at me, but I didn’t speak. Instead, I pretended to be deeply interested in one of the displays on the wall about ‘How to write an essay’, even though I knew what the display said inside out already.

            “Lacey, I can explain,” he whispered. My body fell into shock. He called me Lacey.     

            “I don’t want to know about it, Jackson, I’ve heard enough from Em already.” I wasn’t going to return the favour.

            “What is wrong with you Jennings, you rejected me, not the other way around.” We were back to surnames again.

            “You couldn’t have liked me that much then; if you’re with her already.” He let out an exasperated sigh, realising he had not excuses. Perhaps this was the reaction he was expecting.

The lesson dragged, partly because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t bring myself to concentrate on William Blake this time.

            “Miss Jennings, what is your opinion on ‘The Clod and The Pebble’?” Mr Kerrington asked, tapping a long metre stick on the desk in front of me. I looked at the notes I had made absent-mindedly. Not exactly the most detailed I was capable of.

            “I’m not sure, sir,” I said, embarrassed. I should really pay more attention in English class.

            “Well maybe you’d have an opinion if you paid more attention, Miss Jennings,” he said a little sarcastically. Not giving him the satisfaction of a reply, I put down my pen and leant back in my chair. I didn’t even receive a sarcastic reply from Lewis, as I usually did if I did something that steered away from my normal ‘try my best’ attitude. I think even Mr Kerrington noticed something was wrong.

Finally, the bell freed me from the torture.

            “Miss Jennings, Mr Jackson, wait behind a few minutes please,” Mr Kerrington called just as I was about to make my awaited exit.

            “Is something wrong sir?” I asked impatiently. Other than not paying attention, we hadn’t done anything wrong.

            “Yes, how is it that you two have gone from almost murdering each other to not saying two words to each other over a weekend?” I didn’t even look at him.

            “We were not speaking, to see if it would help,” Lewis saved us, by coming up with an excuse.

            “Well Mr Jackson, perhaps you should wake up your partner here when she seems so thoroughly interesting in a display that’s been there for years.” Stupid teacher. How was it that he knew everything. “You are dismissed.”

Finally, I could leave! Outside the door, Em was waiting, and it wasn’t for me.

            “Leeeeeeewis!” she called happily, giving him a big hug. Oh dear, I never thought I’d say this, but poor Jackson. Without giving the new couple a second glance, I walked briskly to Biology. I hadn’t had this lesson this year yet, so I was looking forward to it. Kara had best have saved me a seat near the front with her.

In the classroom, stood one of my favourite teachers, Mr Wallis. He smiled at me as I entered, which I returned, and then sat next to Kara, who had thankfully managed to save me a seat. Behind her, sat Ronan, with an empty chair next to him. Lewis hadn’t arrived yet. He was probably too busy kissing Em in the corridor.

            “Right class, let’s start, we’re beginning with Genetics,” Mr Wallis clapped to bring our attentions to the front. On the board were two sets of diagrams for us to copy down. Even though Kara and Ronan were near me, I didn’t talk. Perhaps Biology would shake the mental images that were invading my mind.

Fifteen minutes into the lesson, he walked in. I could tell it was him from his shoes.

            “Lewis Jackson, you’ll make up the time by staying in for break, take the seat next to Ronan,” Mr Wallis said, finally realising that he was in the doorway. Sighing, but without complaining, he sat behind me. Mr Wallis just disappeared from my favourite teacher list.

Monday mornings were becoming even worse than they were supposed to be. Now I’d have him for two lessons, right after each other.

Hey! Well I uploaded today because I'm in a good mood. :) STOKE CITY FC AT WEMBLEY TODAY :D Good luck to my hometown team :) Sorry these last few chapters are short, trying to get the story to move along a bit :)