Chapter 52

The championship game had started around noon, local time, and with the trophy presentation and post-game interviews, we didn't make it to Frankie's ranch until almost 5pm. It was great though, even Coach Bates and Kari came! Of course, Kari was now busted, but I was being nice and not teasing too much. You see, Kari stayed late with me as a driver, because with setting the scoring record and getting all those points and being named the MVP, it got me a lot more interviews. Skye had also stayed with me of course, but the rest of the team had headed to the ranch in the team charter bus. We'd just catch up when we were done.

But funnily enough, Kari didn't need any directions, or a GPS to get there. It was almost as though she knew where she was going and had been there multiple times. Not that we were going to say anything to anyone, because Kari had done a lot for me, and Frankie was just an amazing woman. The more I thought about it, the more I could see what a great match they made. But at least it solved the little mystery of who Frankie was with. They were just keeping it very quiet because of their situation.

But, I could still tease them a little! "How long have you and Frankie been together?" I asked her as she drove. Her head whipped to me with wide eyes. "Sorry! Eyes on the road! We won't say anything, I promise, I just was wondering."

"Shit!" she grumbled. "We've been doing so well at hiding it!"

"Don't blame yourself, I don't think anyone except Skye, and I know. But Frankie being gorgeous and on her own seemed pretty suspicious, and you not needing directions or GPS to find her place in a state across the country was a big giveaway."

"Fuck! That was a stupid mistake." She shook her head as she realized that her complacency gave it away. "We started seeing each other last spring, so about a year ago. She's amazing, and I still have a hard time believing she's mine."

I reached over, taking Skye's hand in mind. "Yeah, I get that. I still don't understand how the universe decided to cut me a break and let me find Skye."

"Ha! The universe gave me the break!" Skye said happily.

Kari let out a light laugh. "You sound like me and Frankie. We got lucky too. Sometimes that's just what you need to kick start things, but you still have to recognize what you have and never let go. You need to fight for it."

"Well, we've already started that, we got engaged and we'll probably be married later this summer. I'm not letting this girl go," Skye assured her.

"Then we better get a wedding invitation!"

"I'm sure you will. The soccer team too! But we want one to yours in return!"

"I think that can be arranged," she assured us with a smile.

Frankie's ranch was amazing. It wasn't fancy, but it was a cool and authentic place, and the cows were very cute. I wasn't going to ask if we were eating one of hers, but she had a mess of burgers going on an outdoor firepit, and it smelled mouth wateringly delicious. The music was blaring, everyone was dancing, and there were a lot of people making out. It was a perfect way to wrap up the win.

Well, other than me collecting on Skye's promises for the win and MVP. But I knew that would happen when we got back to the hotel!

"You guys are going to be flooded with NIL offers," Frankie told Imani, Leah and me later that night. "When we won the championship, we started getting crazy offers too, and I know basketball is a bigger sport. Just, don't rush. Take the ones you feel good about and ignore the rest. I had several from some shady companies, just looking to get my face on their brand, and you have to be careful about that."

She was right about the offers. The three of us had already got texts from Rosie with bunches of them. I wasn't even going to look at them until the next day, there were too many to consider. Hell, Bryn and Dayana got some too, and we were so happy because they deserved it too! "Are there any that you turned down that we should be aware of?"