Chapter 4

When the day to check into the dorm came, I was one of the first people there. Yes, I was that excited! Were all kids excited about more school? Maybe? I don't know. A lot of my high school friends had been ambivalent about it, seeing it as nothing more than a means to an end, though not many were looking forward to it as much as I did. Of course, I did have a great team I was going to, and in the back of my mind was always the hope that Tegan would be happy to see me and want to rekindle whatever we'd had at spring break.

               I know, she's not out. I could work with that, I was patient.

               The room was pretty basic, a two person room with a jack and jill connected bathroom to another room with two people in it. Yeah, four girls sharing a bathroom would probably be rough, but I hoped we could make some sort of a schedule. The room itself had two loft beds with desks underneath. Right off the bat, that became an issue as the area under the bed didn't fit my height too well.

               I guess I'd be doing homework somewhere else! The library wasn't too far from the dorm, so that would probably be my place to get things done. It didn't look like there was any real difference between the beds, so I took the one furthest from the bathroom just in case the shower was noisy. Hopefully my roomie didn't have an issue with that, but I didn't feel like waiting for them to show up to pick.

               Once my stuff was unpacked, I took a walk around the campus, checking out which buildings my classes were in, found several convenient food halls, and the field house where we'd be holding basketball practices. All in all, it was a good first day. I had a lot of friendly people say hi, and I was feeling good about things. There was no panic and no drama, just what I needed for a first day.

               My roommate didn't even show up until the following afternoon while I was laying down in my bed and scrolling on Instagram. She came in with a tired groan, and I was instantly put at ease with her smile. She was a pale, dark haired girl who stuck her hand out as soon as she saw me. "Hey, I'm Giuliana Vaccario, from Nyawk! Call me Gee!"

               Yeah, we had a lot of native New Yorkers in south Florida, so while it was a thick accent, I could handle it. I jumped down from the bed and shook her hand. "Reign Rivers, Fort Lauderdale."

               Fuck! You're so damned tall!" She had to be almost a foot shorter than me but had an infectious grin on her face.

               "Yeah, I play basketball, so it helps."

               "Awesome! I got a cool roomie!" She dumped her bags on the floor and looked around. "This is it?"

               I pointed at the bathroom. "Through there is the bathroom, it looks like we share it with the other two girls on the other side. I haven't seen them yet. Do you need any help carrying stuff in?"

               "Nah. I flew in, this is all I got."

               "That's cool. I already walked around the campus, so if you need to find anything I can show you around," I offered. I figured it was a right thing to do, and if I was going to spend the year with Gee, then it would be nice to get off on the right foot. It didn't hurt that she seemed like a good person right off the bat too.

               "Yeah! That'd be cool! I need to find the frat houses for the parties!"

               That wasn't something I'd looked for, since me and frat boys would never mix. Maybe sorority girls later, but I wanted to try with Tegan first. Parties weren't my scene either, since I was always trying to treat my body well. It was my best money making shot for the future, so I had to maintain it! "We can go look for those too, I never found them when I was out before."