Chapter 19

Skye didn't see me come into her bar this time. Maybe it was just as well, though I'd like to think my entrance today was a little better than the soaking wet drowned rat look from the first time. But she was perched on a bar stool, her face in a large book, as I sidled up to her. Christian and Ben were still playing pool and joking around, but the place was otherwise empty. That wasn't a shock, since it was still relatively early on a Monday evening.

I hoped they had people rolling in around dinner time though, I wanted her to make some money!

"Any chance I can get some more of those super strong cocktails?" I asked as I slid onto the barstool next to her. I offered a little smile, but it was hard to hold.

She jumped a little, as though she were so engrossed in the book that she hadn't sensed my approach, then smiled as she realized who it was. "Hey!" she stood up next to me, pulling me into another hug, and I just started crying again, my smile vanishing. Why was I always crying near Skye? Why couldn't I be some sexy and confident woman instead of a broken girl every time I was here? "What happened? Are you okay? Never mind, obviously not. Talk to me." Her arms tightened around me as she pressed herself into my chest once more while rubbing my back. I was just glad it wasn't soaking wet this time.

"They kicked me off the team. Revoked my scholarship. Kicked me out of school. Tegan filed a restraining order and told everyone I'm stalking her. Oh, and they might arrest me for breaking and entering." That was pretty much as short as I could make the story, and it was hard enough for me to say all that without just completely breaking down and crying even harder all over the top of her head. It made me realize how much of this was planned too. The moving spare key that made it look like I was searching for it, the kicking me out early so I would leave in a hurry and never be fully dressed. All on security cameras over multiple days too. This wasn't a spur of the moment decision over the scrimmage.

I could feel her whole body tense at that, but she never once stopped holding me, or rubbing soft circles onto my back muscles. "Let it out, I got you," she promised, and I did. I just sat there sobbing, letting my own arms wrap around her like she was my lifeline. I'd worried that me showing up so soon after the last time would make me look desperate for her attention, and yet right now I didn't care. I really was desperate, but for her comfort and support, not to ask her out. I didn't even care how I looked in her eyes right now. Somehow, I knew that she would still make me feel better.

Why the fuck did the universe have me be with such an amazing woman at two of the lowest points of my life? If she'd been in Florida when my dad passed, she would have had all three covered. I wasn't sure how long she held me, but I did know I was glad the bar was empty while she did. "How many other patrons do you help like this?"

"You're a special case," she replied. "And you need this a lot more than most."

She was right about needing it. I did. Leah and Gee were amazing, but this hug right here was like some magic potion that instantly relaxed me and made me feel better. I needed it so badly, though I felt guilty about imposing. The first time, she'd just done it and surprised me. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I came here hoping she'd hug me again. "You're pretty amazing. I was going to come back this weekend to see you, but I really needed this today."

She nodded into me, and I could see the ghost of a smile on her face as I looked down. "I was hoping you'd come back, though I was hoping to see you when you weren't in another crisis. Not that I don't want to see you now! Any time would have been perfect."

"I know what you mean," I assured her, feeling warmth from her admission spread through me. "Believe me, this wasn't something I wanted to happen either."

"Do you know what you're going to do now?" she wondered.

"My teammate Leah is going to let me crash at her place. I don't think I can prove anything she did, but I might be able to cast doubt on it. I just don't know what good that will do."