Chapter 13

Leah had me annoyed. I got to the gym over an hour early to shoot around and get loosened up, and that sneaky bitch beat me there! "You little shit!" I called over to her as I walked onto the court with a basketball in my hand. She was hoisting up three pointers and grinned when she saw me.

               "Hey! You're late! I want to try some of those lob passes before the scrimmage!" She waved me over and I picked up my pace. That sounded like it could be fun!

               "Give me a minute to stretch, and we'll get down to it," I agreed. Making sure I wasn't going to pull any hamstrings or other muscles was a priority, so I got into my stretching routine quickly, because I wanted to get to work! I stretched for about ten minutes, then shot a few free throws and three pointers before taking a few layups to get relaxed. Leah had been shooting in silence at the other end of the floor, and when I was feeling ready, I joined her.

               "Do you know what today is?" she asked after she sank another three pointer. I remembered that she was an excellent shooter back in high school, and she didn't seem to have lost her touch.

               I looked over at her with a frown. Was I missing something? "It's the scrimmage, right?"

               She put her hands on her hips, then just shook her head. "Obviously! But the first scrimmage is always the upperclassmen against the freshmen and sophomores. Coach said that the upperclassmen haven't lost since she's been coaching here. That's over ten years! I wanna change that!"

               I would be playing against Tegan? Leah and on the same team? I liked the sound of that! Hell yeah, forget sex, I wanted to show those upperclassmen just what we had! "We're going to kick their asses!"

               "Good attitude! Now, show me how high you can jump. I want to see if we can do some baseline cuts and hit lobs for dunks!" She directed me to the three point line, and we practiced with me passing her the ball, then taking off for the basket where she would lob the ball up next to the hoop. In theory, I'd catch it, then slam it down. But it wasn't perfect. She had never had anyone that could jump high enough to try this, and I'd never had anyone who was as good a passer as she was, so we had to take a dozen passes before we got our first dunk. But once we did, fuck did it feel good!

Damn, this was going to be a fun pairing!

               For the next thirty minutes, we worked on the cuts, on entry passes for both her and me, kickout passes on drives and anything else we could think of that we could at least become passably familiar with in the short time we had. One reason the upperclassmen probably won these games is that they would have played and practiced together for at least two years. That wasn't something we could overcome in one afternoon, but it was the best we could do.

               One thing was for sure, I knew now why Leah had her top five ranking, she was sensational!

               We stopped practicing when others arrived, and just started shooting around. We wanted to keep our plans a secret for now. But I knew that we'd be better than most of the underclass teams of the past, and maybe could give them a scare. Nah, fuck that, we were gonna win.

               "Okay people, gather round!" Coach Austin yelled. "Freshmen and sophomores, you're going to take on the juniors and seniors. I coach the upperclassmen, and assistant coach Reese will coach you. Coach Reese, they're all yours."

               Coach Reese was a tall, older woman, who always looked like she was angry. I hadn't been a fan in our brief interactions, and now she was going to try to help us? Oh boy. "Okay ladies, come on over here." I looked around, and noticed that there were seven of us, and eight on the other team, so they would have more depth too. I was okay with that. "We're going to give the freshmen the start. A little trial by fire! Franklin and Jacobs, you two are starting as well. Show me what you got."