Chapter 34

As the week before Thanksgiving started, Skye began to act weird. Not in a 'she was getting quiet or avoiding me' kind of way, but in a 'hiding something cool' way. She was excited about something and made me stop coming by the bar in the evenings for the last few days before the break. My guest room? Yeah, it now had more than a dozen boxes of her top shelf liquor. It seemed like every night she came home, a few more of the boxes came home.

If it weren't for the liquor, I'd half guess that she was going to propose just based on the way she was acting. Or maybe that was wishful thinking. No, it wasn't. The more I thought about it, the more I was terrified that she was going to do just that. Not that I didn't want her to, but not this early! I know we lesbians move fast, but we'd moved in together super fast, and had only been dating for just over a month. Hell, I loved her, and she loved me, but even still that would be crazy.

And yet I'd still say yes if she asked.

But my family was going to be here for Thanksgiving, and I was already going to break the news about why I'd transferred and explain the Tegan drama to them. Adding in a new engagement would probably make their heads explode! They'd be happy that I had a future lawyer for an amazing girlfriend, that would hopefully soothe them. So, all I could do was just sit back and wait until Skye opened up and told me what was going on.

From a basketball standpoint, things were going well. We'd had three more games, each an easy win, and had the big Thanksgiving game against Oregon coming up. They were the first ranked team that was on our schedule, and we were expecting a tougher game. Imani, Leah and I were all playing well together, each of us averaging over 18 points a game now, and then Bryn and Dayana were both playing great too.

I couldn't help but keep an eye on my old team's games too. They were also 4-0, though they weren't playing as well. Tegan's scoring was down to 16 points a game, a huge drop from the previous season, and there was a small part of me that was happy with that. In my mind, the episode was over, and I'd won. I was on an awesome team with teammates that all liked each other and had a girlfriend that made me weak in the knees every night.

That was more than enough to consider myself much better off than I had been before.

After our second win, a nice victory over the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs, Leah and I had a meeting with Rosie Ellis, who was the agent that Imani had recommended for us. We'd brought along Skye to get a read on her, and she was impressed with her, as were Leah and I, and we both signed with her. Within a week, Leah had four deals, and I had five, and Rosie was confident more would be coming as we got more publicity and wins.

None of the deals were huge, the biggest was $25k with Nike, but to me the money was crazy. I'd gone from having no money except the leftovers from my college fund, to having almost $100k in the bank. It was something I'd never even considered when I'd first come to college, and I felt a little giddy at times. Now I just had to convince my mom to let me spoil her and Ray a little!

"Do we have everything we need for the meal?" Skye asked as we snuggled in bed the morning before Thanksgiving. We were going to just do a big feast at Leah's house with her roommates, Gee, us, my family, and Leah's family. Gee didn't want her family there, as she didn't want to come out to them just yet, but she was planning on doing that over the Christmas break.

"Yeah, I brought it all to Leah's house except for the stuff that my grandparents are bringing," I replied. We'd picked up two hams, and my grandfather was putting some pork shoulders on the smoker to make pulled pork. In addition, Skye was bringing her water bath and fryer over to make her wings, because I wanted my uncle to see what they were like so he could make them at the bar back in Florida. It wasn't a typical holiday meal, but we would have friends and family which was more important to me. My mom and uncle Ray were coming too, having been persuaded to close the bar and grille for a few days, and I really wanted to talk to them about their relationship.