Chapter 30

"Okay, stay right here while I get the team warmed up. They were thrilled to see the drama over there with the Wolfpack but seeing you two joining them is going to make them go crazy. We only had one incoming freshman after one of our commits backed out with the pregnancy, so having you two come aboard will be an immense coup." Coach Bates had a big grin as she had us paused outside the doors to the practice court. 

"Will do!" Leah was excited about this too, as was I. Coach held her finger to her lips, and then went through the door to the court, where we could hear basketballs bouncing.

We'd spent the morning getting our classes straightened out. We were both joining after the semester had started, so we had limited class options. We both ended up with two online classes and an in person ceramics class so we could hang out together. We could take more classes in the spring semester, but since that was when the big games were, we both planned to take three classes then too, and then take four classes over the summer when we had no basketball. We also had a tutor to help get us up to speed on what we'd missed, because we were already over a month into classes, and needed to catch up. We both had a lot of busy days in front of us.

Today was the introduction to the team, and then a media session afterwards with the school media department where we'd answer questions and get our pictures done in our new uniforms. We never got that far with the Wolfpack, so this would be a fun day.

"Ladies!" Coach Bates yelled inside the practice court. "Huddle up!" Leah and I shared a quick grin as we heard the squeaking of sneakers the players no doubt gathered around the coach. "Alright. Now I'm sure you're all heartbroken for our neighbors across town with all the drama they're having thanks to the scandal with their number one player. Many of you are no doubt thrilled because their loss might make it easier for us to beat them. But that isn't enough! Beating them won't win a championship, there are too many good teams out there. On the other hand, their loss can indeed be our gain, because when they had that scandal, the NCAA allowed any player over there to immediately enter the transfer portal. So, thanks to that, please welcome your new teammates, top five freshmen recruits Leah Vega and Reign Rivers!"

That was our cue, and Leah slammed the door before while we marched through. There were about five seconds of silence before someone screamed out "Holy fuck!" and they all broke into cheers. I couldn't stop smiling as Leah and I were suddenly fist bumping and high fiving all the players that were excited to see us.

And yet Imani, the only player I had really followed on the team, was crying as she walked over and pulled us both into a hug. "I'm so glad you two are here! You have no idea how happy I am!" Okay, they were happy tears, and I felt a lot better about that. "I really want a chance at a championship, and now I think we have it."

I'd never thought about that. The UNC team was solid, really solid, but Imani was carrying them in most games, and while that was good enough to get them to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament, they couldn't get past it. With me and Leah aboard, even as freshmen, maybe we had the juice to go further. No pressure though! But when I thought about it, it made sense. On our old team, Tegan was the star, and we'd thought about being a three headed monster of sorts that would be unstoppable. With Imani replacing Tegan as the third head, we still had that, but it would be two guards plus me instead of two big forwards plus Leah.

It could still be amazing!

Coach Bates blew her whistle, getting everyone's attention once more. "Alright, now that we've all said hello, let me tell you what my plan is. Imani, you've been the primary ball handler for the last two years, but Leah was the top guard in the class. I want you two to share that duty so that the opponents can't tell who will be playing off the ball and who will be leading the attack. I want you both practicing pick and roll plays with Reign, because that is going to kill the other team. Now, everyone else, we need a lot of people practicing three pointers, because there should be a ton of chances for drive and dish plays when we do this. If we're playing well, the other team will have to decide who to double, and that means open shots for someone."

The whole team started getting excited by that, though they probably didn't have any idea of our abilities yet, just that we were highly recruited players. But I knew how well we'd already played together in our first scrimmage, and if we had more time to practice and play, then we'd be even more difficult to defend. Imani looked more than ready to try this out.

The coach had us set up a scrimmage, with Leah, Imani, me, and two other forwards named Dayana and Bryn, and then let the other team play with six players to see how we did. We did well. Leah and I started slowly, wanting to ease into the flow of the team. But we had fun when Leah would pass down to me, and we kicked it back out to all the shooters. We were holding our own, even with the other team playing with the extra player.

But then Leah nodded at me, and then lobbed the ball up for me, and I quickly elevated to slam it down through the hoop. Imani let out a scream of joy, and even the coach was just staring dumbfounded as we jogged back down the court. I shared a fist bump with Leah and then got back to business. We started ramping up our play, and it just got better and better. Leah would drive past the pick I set, then dish it to Imani who was heading the other way, causing confusion in the defenders before kicking it over to Bryn who would take the open shot. It became almost too easy to attack, because both Imani and Leah were fast as hell, and nobody could keep track of them.

I don't think I've ever felt that much joy on a basketball court. Yeah, beating Tegan in the scrimmage was fun, but this was just on a whole different level. Imani was whipping passes all over, Leah was hitting shots, and I was on fire with my rebounding and shooting. Dayana and Bryn were getting wide open three pointers, just as we'd hoped, and things were humming. Yeah, we gave up shots too, it was just too hard to cover six people with five defenders, but we were scoring almost every time down the court, even with their sixth defender.

When the practice ended, we were all energized rather than exhausted. The worst thing is, I was upset at myself because I could have picked UNC from the beginning, and I didn't, even though Coach Bates had been my favorite coach that had come to recruit me.

But had I done that, I wouldn't have become friends with Leah, who then wouldn't be in love with Gee. I might not have even met Skye, or at least not under the same circumstances that let me fall for her so rapidly. I've always heard that everything happens for a reason, and based on where I'd ended up, and the people that were in my life because of the things that I'd gone through, I was very glad for the journey. I was finally where I needed to be, with who I should, and while it hadn't been a straight shot to get here, it had been a journey that had made my life better than it would have been.

The mood was jubilant as everyone got showered and ready for their evening, and I knew I was going to have to thank Skye with many more kisses. This was exactly what I'd been missing and knowing that I was back to being a part of a team and having registered for classes again gave me a sense of purpose. Well, beyond the one I had for spending time with Skye as often as possible.

"Are you heading to the bar?" Leah asked as we walked to the parking lot.

"Yeah, I want to tell Skye how it went. She was so excited this morning; she can't wait for the games."

"I can't either! We're going to destroy people this year!" she said happily. "The people here are so fun, I'm so glad we came here."

"I was just thinking about how glad I am that we're here now. I can't wait to play our old team. This team seems a lot looser and happier. Coach Bates seems like she'll be more fun to play with too." I agreed.

"I think Gee is transferring too. She's moving in with me already, but next year we'll move closer to campus, and it will be better."

"She'll get a lot of strange looks wearing your jersey, huh?"

"She doesn't care. She just can't wait for me to take it off her!"

"I don't need to hear that!"