Chapter 7

The card was pretty basic. Just Tegan's number, her email and the team's twitter feed. I already followed the twitter feed, but the other information was new. But I wanted the important stuff! Written in ink underneath that information was an address, and a note.

Come by Thursday at 4pm. If I'm late, the key is under the toad next to the door so let yourself in. We should talk. Destroy this!

               My heart started to pound as I read the note, then reread it. Okay, and then I did so once more before ripping it into tiny pieces and scattering it into three different trash cans. Damn, I felt like a secret agent! The things you do for sex, right? I added her phone number and email to my contacts, and then looked up the address on my GPS. It was further west than I thought, almost halfway between our campus, and that of our rival, the University of North Carolina. I'd never been to that part of the city, so I'd really be relying on the directions for sure.

               It was weird being so close to a rival. I guess Los Angeles has that same thing with USC and UCLA in the same city, but there weren't many others with such large schools. The Raleigh Durham area had the two rivals only thirty minutes apart, and the cities weren't exactly giant population centers, so you ran into students from the other university all the time.

               It wouldn't shock me then, if some of Tegan's neighbors were students at UNC. Maybe that was good though, it was far enough from our campus that hopefully nobody would recognize me there. I was still operating under the impression that Tegan wanted this to be a secret, and I was alright with that. Hopefully by tomorrow I'd know what Tegan and I could be. Or, I guess, what we couldn't be.

               "Hey, are you okay?" Gee asked from her bunk. I jerked my head over at her, as I never even noticed that she had walked through the door.

               "Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking. First basketball meeting today and I have a lot to digest." I didn't like lying to Gee, but I couldn't tell anyone about Tegan, so that was a somewhat true statement.

               "Gotcha. How is the paper on Shakespeare going?" We had the stereotypical paper to do on Shakespeare, though thankfully this one was on The Tempest, which was a new one for me. It had been a better read, if only because it wasn't the same ones I'd always read in high school, and I'd actually gotten it done pretty fast. I'd started taking my laptop with me to classes, and working on assignments at meals and whenever I had a little time, and it had helped a lot. Working on the homework right after the class let me retain a little more of the knowledge, and my grades had picked up since I'd started it. Maybe Gee was a good influence on me in that regard.

               "I'm done. That's probably my new favorite Shakespeare work. Hopefully it's a good paper."

               "Do you want me to look it over?" she asked. That was something she'd done several times, and I always did the same for her. I rarely found anything that needed changing on hers, but she had a habit of finding at least a few things that needed editing mine.

               "Sure, I'll send it over."

               We emailed our documents to each other, and then got to work editing. "This looks really good!" she commented after a while. "You're getting much better already!"

               "That was all you! Seriously, I'm so glad you turned out to be my roommate. I wasn't nearly this good at getting my schoolwork done before." She may have called me the cool roommate, though I hadn't done anything to help with that yet, but she was the one who had helped settle me down and helped get my grades up before the season got underway.