Chapter 45

Where the conversation with Skye's mom was great, because she was so excited and accepting, the meeting with her father was miserable. It was something we expected, Skye had prepared me for it, but I guess nothing can get you ready for the reality of meeting a completely toxic person.

The worst thing was, if not for him, it would have been the perfect weekend. Giving the ring to Skye, letting the world know about us, talking to Skye's mom on the phone, making love all afternoon before our dinner. It was perfect.

The dinner had been quite the shock, and I was the one who planned it. I mean, I knew what was supposed to happen, but the experience itself was truly special. I'd taken Skye to the Chef's Table at the Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern. I'd never eaten at a chef's table before, so I didn't know what to expect, but it was the coolest thing I'd ever done.

If you're not familiar with it, it was like eating in the kitchen while they're cooking your meal, and the chef, an imposing man named Daniel, kept coming over and talking to us personally. They'd made a special meal just for us, and then added a couple of special little treats when he recognized me from the news, and we told him about the engagement.

I don't think I'd ever had a better meal.

The chef had brought us what he called a duck leg confit to start with, which was just melting in my mouth even though I have no idea what confit means. It tasted luxurious though, so I had no doubt that we were both going to blow our diets tonight. It was my first time eating duck, and I wasn't sure what to expect, but damn I might be ordering it again!

The second course was a braised Black Angus short rib that just made me want to moan like Skye was sitting on my face again. Holy crap was that good! Even better, Skye was enjoying the food immensely, which is all I cared about. I wanted my girl to feel like the queen she is every day. Hell, I'll just give her piggy backs around the city if that is what it takes for her to feel pampered!

They kept bringing us little things that the chef called an amuse bouche too. Once it was a raspberry sorbet with mint in it, another time it was a poached shrimp with lime, but it was like the chef was thinking ahh fuck it, they like everything so I should keep sending them little snacks! Not that we were complaining, we just wouldn't eat for a week after this.

The only part about dessert that sucked was that we couldn't have more. Instead of Daniel, there was a pastry chef named Amber who handled that, and she gave each of us a different dessert so that we could try both. She gave me an orange and pistachio cheesecake that might have been the best thing I'd had in my mouth that wasn't a part of Skye. I can't even describe the combination, because if someone had suggested having it, I would have laughed at them. But it worked, and it was fucking insane. The people that came up with these flavor combinations were geniuses.

While I was enjoying that, she put a plate with a chocolate souffle in front of Skye. The look on her face was the same as the one she had when her eyes lit up as she was diving between my thighs, and I was momentarily jealous! Being the nice fiancés we were, we eagerly shared, and both fell in love with each of the desserts. Which is why we wanted more! Not that we could have fit another helping in though. But they did give us a little bag to go with assorted chocolate truffles as a little congratulations gift, which was very nice. Needless to say, we took a lot of pictures of our food, and posted them online. No, I wasn't looking for free food! But the meal was so damned good, and Daniel and Amber were so nice, that they deserved a shout out.

The next day, Skye's dad wanted to meet us at the bar, which might have been fine had it been open. We never realized it, but once Tegan's dad bought it, he never even got it reopened, it just sat there with the lights out, all locked up with an 'Under New Management' sign on the front. Had we known that we would have never agreed to meet there, but at a diner or something. At least if it had been open, we could have at least gone inside, but instead we got there to a figure standing in front of the bar, with his car the only one in the lot.