Chapter 16

"Do you really think that is the best idea?" she asked me, concern etched across her face. I'm sure she'd seen many people coming in to drink their troubles away, and I didn't mind being the next.

"Yep. I'm very sure." I was quite ready to get fucked up.

"How about I get something that doesn't even taste like alcohol, it will sneak right up on you?"

"I don't care. I just need to forget." I really didn't want to hear that Gabe guy and Tegan yelling at me in my mind or remember either of them looking at my naked body.

"You just better not puke up all that good food I made you!" she told me, pointing down that the plates of food that she'd kindly made.

"I'll do my best!" I promised. I really hoped I didn't, and she'd been so nice that I'd feel bad if I made a mess of her bar. She nodded, and then moved down to the other end of the bar.

She came back a minute later with a tumbler of a reddish tinted drink with a little cherry in it. "This is sweet, so it will disguise the alcohol. But I'm only giving you one until you get food in your belly. No drinking on an empty stomach!"

I took a sip of the drink, and she was right, it was very sweet with a cherry flavor to it. "I'll be good. But you better have more of these lined up, they're delicious!"

She smiled and nodded. "I'll make more, don't sweat it. In the meantime, do you want to talk about what happened? Or would you rather wait?"

I took a bit of one of the potato skins, and almost moaned, it was so good! I really needed this food. I should probably talk to her, I mean that is what bartenders do, right? "Let me get a little food in me, then I'll tell you everything."

She nodded quickly, then served a few other people drinks, but I couldn't help but notice she was keeping an eye on me. It was nice that she was making sure I was okay, and I was flattered that she'd been as helpful as she had been. Really, she didn't have to give me dry clothes, protect me from that old Harry guy and then make me food. Yes, I know they normally sell food, but she'd kicked Christian back there to do the cooking now that it was busier, which meant that she'd wanted to do it for me. I hoped.

Fuck, am I being stupid and reading things into the situation just because she saw I needed the kindness so much after the shit that went down at Tegan's? Am I so desperate that I'm seeing things where they aren't? Hell, Uncle Ray has helped out many a patron in the bar when they were down, and no doubt that was all that Skye was doing too. I needed to keep my head out of the damned clouds. After what I just went through with Tegan, I should be steering clear of anyone with gorgeous hazel eyes, a sexy blonde ponytail, a stunning ass, and perky breasts who was treating me nicely.

Yeah, good luck with that.

But right now, I just tried to concentrate on what I needed to. The food was good, and just what my body needed. It was so dark driving here through the downpour that it had seemed later than it was, and I guess my body decided it was famished. Part of that might have been the emotional trauma I'd just been through, but when I looked at my phone, I realized it wasn't even 7pm yet. I didn't realize it, since I was lost in my own thoughts, but I'd already polished off the potato skins, and half the drink before I started in on the wings. We have a lot of good wing places in Florida, with lots of Latin influences so I liked them spicy. These were some sort of a sweet and spicy chili sauce that were nice and crispy, and I think I could have eaten them all night. Damn were they good!

I was almost done with them when Skye came over with another drink. "Those wings usually need more to wash them down with, so I took the liberty."

I had the sauce all over my face, and my mouth was full of chicken wing. Perfect timing to talk to an insanely hot girl. Thanks a lot, to whatever lesbian god was doing me zero favors right now! I quickly chewed and swallowed before wiping my face and responding. "Thanks! Everything is great, thank you so much for making this."