CHAPTER 5 - you need to gatekeep her!

a/n - please vote!

y/n's pov
i look up from the table i was cleaning, seeing olivia jogging in. locking the door quickly, she looks around, out of breath. "can i... help you?" i ask, "i'm just closing up now." she looks at me, catching her breath. she puts a hand up, signalling me to wait. i look back down, wiping the last corner and wiping down the chairs, placing them on top of the table, upside down. i look up, seeing multiple paparazzi outside, cameras flashing. i put two and two together, "i see." she hums, and i walk to the counter, pulling out a sleek remote. i press a button, which lowers all the dark grey blinds down. after a few seconds, the blinds cover the cafe windows, not being able to see outside. "sorry, just needed somewhere to escape," olivia says, looking at me, "i can leave, you said you're closing, or i can help you close up." "no, it's all good," i say, putting the remote back, "they're still out there. take a seat." "thank you," she sits down on the couch, leaning back.

we stay in silence as i clean the table. i place everything back, seeing i cleaned everything up.

i walk to olivia, sitting beside her with a sigh. "long day?" she asks. "i don't really have long days at work here. just some days more enjoyable than others," i say, "long day for you?" "not really, just went to a party. left and things got chaotic, as you can tell," she says. "gotcha," i nod. she looks at me, and i keep my eyes forward, "do you work every day?" "most days," i say, "i don't work tuesdays and sundays." "how long do you work?" she asks. "a long time, some days," i chuckle, "sometimes 11 hours." "wow," she sighs. "it's cool, i like working. plus i have nothing else to do," i say. "that's good," she says. i look at her, and she smiles. i smile too, both of us looking forward again.

i look at my shoes, "how was your date?" "oh, yesterday?" she asks. "yeah," i nod. she chuckles, and i see her shake her head in the corner of my eye. "it was the guy that stood me up last month. wish i took that as a sign, the date was hell," she laughs, "i barely even got a word out." i chuckle, "seems like you were having fun!" "if fun was struggling to listen to a guy talk for an hour and a half straight, i had so much fun," she smiles. shit, i hope i didn't talk a lot when we had dinner. "so, no second date?" i assume. she sighs, thinking for a few seconds, "i don't know. like, sure, he talks a lot, but that means he's passionate about stuff, right? even though half the time he was complaining. i just feel like he's the best i could settle for right now." "are you kidding?" i chuckle, "i don't know him or barely you personally, but i wouldn't settle for a guy who stands me up on the first date, just to talk about him for the second date. but hey, if that's your type, go for it." "that's not my type," olivia laughs, "just... dating is so hard, you know? i feel like i should lower my standards." "don't do that," i advise, "you deserve someone who exceeds your standards. don't settle for less, because you're bound to find someone soon." "look at you," she giggles, nudging me, "giving relationship advice." "i've got tricks up my sleeve," i chuckle. 

we talk for another 10 minutes. the paparazzi was definitely gone, but i didn't wanna tell her, just in case she was gonna go. "how long have you been working here?" she asks. "since it opened," i answer, "why haven't you tried this place sooner?" "not sure, i've seen it everywhere. wish i tried it earlier," she says, "food and drinks are amazing." "you sure it's not just to see me?" i tease, looking at her. she chuckles, shaking her head and looking away, "did i forget to mention the totally hot baristas?" "i think you did," i laugh. she laughs again, sighing, "i should go." i mentally frown, "how're you getting home?" she groans, "probably an uber." "you don't like ubers?" i ask. "last one i went in, car smelt foul, got car sickness, went home and vomited... so no. wish i was kidding," she laughs. "i can take you home," i offer. "depends. does your car smell like shit, and are you gonna kidnap me?" she smiles. "air freshener. my car smells great," i laugh, "and i won't kidnap you, swear on my life." "are you sure it's no trouble?" she asks, seriously. i nod, smiling, "i'm sure. let's go." 

i lock up the building, olivia following me to my car. "bmw," she whispers. "that's right, bmw m4," i laugh, unlocking my car. "fancy car." "she's my baby. didn't expect it?" i ask. "i didn't think about what car you drive," she says.

 "i didn't think about what car you drive," she says

i go to the passenger door, opening it. "how sweet," olivia smiles, getting in. "your standards are so low," i laugh, closing the door once she was in.

i start the car up, turning on the heater. "so, where do you live?" i ask. "oh, literally ten minutes from here," olivia says, "i'll tell you the way." "is that why you come so often?" i ask, driving out of the car park. "i don't even go often," she says, "but like i said... i'd only go for the hot baristas." "that's the reason i go into work everyday," i joke, "who needs money?" "so true," she laughs, "turn right here." "yes ma'am," i say, turning right. i press down on the pedal, and the engine revs. "jesus, it's like you want me to go home earlier," olivia chuckles, "how fast do you wanna drive?" "i drive pretty fast," i admit, realizing i should slow down if i wanted more time with olivia. "but i'll slow down for you." i release pressure off the pedal, driving slower.

i park in front of olivia's apartment building. "thanks for driving me home," she says, unbuckling her seatbelt. "no problem," i say, "need me to walk you in?" she chuckles, shaking her head, "it's okay, it's just right there. thank you, though." "of course." "i'll see you... whenever," she shrugs, smiling and opening the car door, "drive home safe." "i will," i say. she gets out, keeping a smile on her face, "thank you again." "you're welcome," i chuckle. she closes the door, and i wait for her to walk into the building safely, then reversing out.

olivia's pov
i open my door, seeing iris on the couch. "oh my god, finally you're home," she says, standing up. "y/n drove me home," i say. "what?!" i tell her what happened, and she takes out her phone. "i've been dying to show you this," she says, tapping on her phone, "look what i came across on my for you page, posted this morning."

she turns her phone to me, and i watch the tiktok. the video already has 1 million likes, one hundred thousand comments. it showed a guy who looked about our age. "you guys... if you haven't been to kaizen coffee, you're missing out. the food and drinks are amazing, but look at this stunning barista," he says. the video changes to a recording of y/n. the video zooms in, following her as she making a coffee. somehow, my eyes always end up going to y/n's dimples.

the video ends, and i gasp. "people have literally been thinking the same as us," she says. i tap on the comments, reading them out loud, "'i literally see her every time i go there, she's so beautiful', 'i need to ask for her number!' 'she's so sweet!!!' 'okay i see why everyone goes here' 'the other baristas are so beautiful too! but y/n definitely stands out' 'someone ask for a photo with her' 'what's her instagram?' 'her socials?' 'she's hot' 'wonder if she's single' 'going there tomorrow to see her! so excited'," i stop reading the comments, looking at iris. "that's so weird," i laugh. "you need to gatekeep her," iris says. "no, that's even more weird!"