Levi takes a step closer, voice quiet, "Don't make me choose like this."

"What choice do we even have?" I whisper, "There's no right answer."

"Place him over next to Armin." Levi then raises his voice slightly, "I'll make the decision on my own."

Obediently, I rest Tobio's fragile body next to the other boy. Cradling his head beneath my palm for what I hope isn't the last time, I stand up quickly knowing that time is of the essence. My heart arches when I hear his gasps for air sound like a broken whistle.

"The two of you leave." Levi commands.

Both Eren and I answer without hesitation, "No."

Humanity's strongest sighs, announcing his decision, "We'll be reviving Armin."

A deep breath fills Eren's lungs in relief. His head tilts to the sky to not only thank the Gods above, but to keep the stress attempting to leave his eyes from falling any further. Tears of betrayal brim my softened eyes. Levi doesn't return my stare; he probably can't look at me right now.

My knees give out underneath me, not even the ringing of my ears seem to distract me after hearing such devastating news. Levi's decision is final. I know it to be final because that is who Levi is—someone who lives without regrets. My torso hunches over the young man with black hair, whose blue eyes I'm unable to see. The young man who told me I had nothing to worry about, the young man who sacrificed his life for those who could save others despite the cold exterior; this was Tobio.

With a delicate, bloody hand, I gently rest it against his cold cheek. There is an exceptionally large wound slightly above his collarbone, one that resembles a lightning bolt.

"I'm sorry."

The same hand trails down his shoulder, slightly grazing the wound before joining the other which holds his hand to the center of my chest. Two fingertips rest at the inside of his wrist, a faint heartbeat still humming. It taunts me; it tells me to fight for the syringe in Levi's hand. It tells me to fight him until I can take it.

But I can't. I can't make it harder for those around me. I can't create more division between the fragile leadership we have left.

Fast enough to move like the wind in the air, fast enough to slice through dozens of titans, but not fast enough to save you. There is no one else to blame but your incompetent captain, Tobio.

A soft wind brushes by as Levi moves around us to administer the life-saving serum to Armin's nearly lifeless body. It smacks reality into me harder than when he announced who he'd be prioritizing tonight. Pulling my hair-tie out, I hide my face from my squad, from the others, from everyone. It shields the pained expression on my face, it shields the shame I harbour from another death from someone in my squad.

A sharp metal clang sobers the thoughts in my head, but I don't dare look or pull away from the boy.

"Captain...Levi..." The voice hoarsely cries, "I finally found you..."

The voice continues, "Commander Erwin is badly wounded...his stomach is gouged, and his organs are demolished...the blood just won't stop. I thought that injection might be able to help, but...what do you think?"

His words fall on my deaf ears. Whoever Levi chooses doesn't matter to me; I know it won't be Tobio. My head tells me to intervene, to look up, to be aware of what may happen next, but the fading pulse underneath my fingertips holds my attention. Shuffling fills my ears, and Eren's voice disrupts the quiet again.

"Captain..."

"He's still...breathing." Levi determines. "He's alive. I'm using the injection on Erwin."