Twenty Four

Once they got far enough away from the castle, Sky roughly stops and swivels around to glare down at his happy sister. "Why are you so close with that bastard?"

"Juniper is an alright guy, Sky," she tries to argue.

"He's too close to you, Val. Too close for comfort. Sebastian would have torn his throat out for being that close to you."

"Hey! That's just plain rude, Sky. Juniper isn't a bad person as you think."

"Yet that bastard kidnapped you!" Sky growls out angrily.

"Sky!" Myla scolds as she goes and pushes him away from Valerie. "Cool it. Now."

Sky shoves her hands away and stood toe to toe with Valerie. "Have you forgotten what he had done to you? Even if it was for the sake of our people, he need not done it the way he did. This is a warning, Valerie. Do not get close to that fucker. I don't know about you, but I'm already hearing that that king of theirs is no king at all and he's been loitering around the town to try to convince the wolves to leave dad's protection. So get your shit together and protect our people."

Valerie was confused. She hadn't heard anything of the sort. Or was it that she wished to not hear it? As she thought back on it, she remembers hearing little bits and pieces of what Sky had claimed the king was doing from the people in town. Even when traveling to other towns, she remembers hearing them mocking their own king. She continues to stare back at Sky as he angrily glares at her. "Do not leave your people behind, Valerie. This may be a new place, but it's not a safe place for us just yet. So watch yourself and stay away from royalty whenever you get the chance. They cannot be trusted."

"Why do you sound like you're leaving?"

"Because I am."

She was even more confused. "I'm only here for a brief visit. Once I meet up with dad and Sebastian, Myla and I are going back."

Unconsciously, Valerie reached out and grabbed his arm and shook her head. "Why aren't you staying? Aren't you suppose to stay here? Isn't that why you crossed over? That's, why, you guys crossed over, right?"

Myla gently placed a hand on her shoulder. Valerie looked to her with tears in her eyes. "We are only here for brief moment and then we're heading back, Valerie. Right now is not the time for us."

"You're not making any sense."

"Your suggestion to dad?" Valerie flinches. "He's put that responsibility onto me."

Her whole body goes numb as her grip on him loosens completely, her hands falling down to her sides. She stares up at him with her tears falling down her cheeks. "As his oldest son, I had no choice but to follow through."

"Why you?" Valerie seethes. "I was the one who brought it up to dad. Me! Why are you the one who has to stay behind!"

"Valerie, stop," Sky warns.

"No! I won't let you stay behind! I won't leave you two behind!"

Her head snaps to side with a sting to her cheek. She was shocked, no less. Valerie slowly turned to look to Sky whose face was drowning in despair and sadness. In a shaky voice, he spoke. "It's time you grew up, Valerie. Everything, no longer, revolves around you and your feelings. You can hate me all you want, but if no one is willing to put you in your place and show you reality, then I will be the one to shove it in your face." He cautiously cups her face with shaking hands as her tears keep running down her cheeks. "I am your brother. I am the next heir once our father passes or steps down. I will continue to strive to be as good of a leader father is, if not better."

"All I ask of you, is to be as good of a leader as father is too. This place isn't safe, do not deny that fact. Watch yourself. Watch your surroundings. Protect our people. Protect our home. Am I asking for too much?"