Chapter 68: The spark of something more?

Почніть із самого початку

Hey hey hey! your ghostly companion all but screeched, giving you a glare that could have cut through steel like butter as she gritted her teeth, What the hell were we just talking about? Oh yeah! Not thinking too much!

Oh... right, you mumbled, your passiveness making the other all the more pissed as she, on the other hand, welled up with passive-aggressiveness that was on the verge of turning into straight aggression, ...Why did I come here again...?

Pinching the bridge of her nose, you heard her audibly inhale, before sighing, You were going to talk to Jay and not overthink, yeah?

Nodding in reply, you were just about to walk over to the ninja when you caught sight of a deep blue piece of paper lying next to your feet. Picking it off the floor, you glanced at the page, recognising the handwriting as the electric user's. Next to the labels were various detailed pictures of a ninja's Gi, not dissimilar to his but labelled as a 'silver' colour with a phoenix badge instead of a dragon like the others'.

How peculiar... you murmured as you walked over to the panicking teen in blue who seemed to be frantically searching for something, presumably the sheet in your hands. "Looking for this?" you asked, holding it up for him to see.

Eyes lighting up as soon as he caught sight of you rather than the blueprint, Jay grinned, "(y/n)! I was just about to go find you but, lucky me, you came to see me first!"

...Do you really feel so fortunate seeing me...? you wondered before clearing your throat as you felt Koun emanate a menacing aura from behind you. "Is... that so? What did you want to see me for?"

All but skipping over to you, the male gestured to the diagram in your hand, "I was gonna go get your measurements for this suit I'm making you since the one Sensei ordered is still on the way."

Suppressing your question of 'Why?' you nodded before catching sight of a tapeline sitting on the other's workbench. Beckoning for the object with two fingers, you activated your gravity power, causing it to fly into your open hand before you handed it over to the ninja. "Let's get this over and done with then," you murmur, lifting your arms as you waited for him to get started.

Eyes darting away from you, Jay's face turned a rouge-pink as you heard him nervously swallow before uttering, "A-alright...!"

Finding his behaviour odd but refraining from commenting on it, you watched with your usual passive look as the lightning user fumbled with the measure, hands trembling slightly as he moved them almost stiffly around you. Not failing to notice the deepening of his face whenever he got closer to you, you watched him with some amount of interest, trying to understand this strange phenomenon so that you may discuss it with your tea-

Oh. Wait. But he's not-

"Are you... Are you okay, (y/n)?" the human standing almost uncomfortably close to you asked, his admiral-blue eyes staring into yours. Gazing into them, you found yourself reflected in the glassy surface of the orbs as if they were a pair of crystal-clear mirrors designed to hold your form and your form alone. 

Despite the moment of self-discovery that should have transpired in that short moment, you found yourself scowling instead as you gazed at your neutral form. Instead of realising how humane the teen's eyes made you seem, they only made you appear even less human. With that perpetually nonchalant, almost detached look you had on, you only looked more and more out of place the longer you stared.

Breaking the gaze contact, you sighed before turning away from Jay who, understandably so, had confusion swirling in his electric aura. "I'm fine," you finally answer him, even though you shouldn't have said it. You know you shouldn't have because you know you're not. Not anymore. Yet the word slipped out of your mouth like a lie, easy and simple. It was easier to lie than to tell the truth, to bury all of your emotions and confront the ugly mess that was your problems. Yet... you couldn't help but wonder...