Chapter 4: A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

(Second person POV)

(Time skip - 5 years)

Before too long, you had learnt how to control the majority of the elements, some better than others, but you could use them nonetheless. With each new ability you acquired, your Void Crystal filled with a different colour fog, swirling and turning inside it like a drop of ink in a clear sea. You had cherry-red for fire, milky-white for ice, denim-blue for lightning, coal-black for earth, aqua-blue for water, silver for metal, a mix of crimson and white for speed, light grey for smoke, deep grey for mind, maroon for gravity, jade-green for nature, teal for sound, chartreuse-green for poison, midnight-black for shadow, violet for form, olive-green for wind, and amber for time. 

The element of light manifested in an odd fog that seemed to change colours with every change in temperature and angle you viewed it. Your original element, void, was a pretty mix of silver and gold, twisting and swirling together into one yet still so very distinct from one another. The only power you didn't have was amber because void isn't able to copy an ability that copied them too. Besides, you didn't need it since your original power made up for it.

The three that you use the most were usually fire (to heat water for a bath or to cook), wind or gravity (to shoot arrows or move the objects around you), and space, an element that doesn't have an Elemental Master. Space, in your opinion, was probably the most useful power you had, ranging from short distance teleportation (no more falling off waterfalls for you), keeping pocket dimensions in your satchel used for storage, and even locating objects in a small radius around you.

"Let's see... I still have yet to master are time and mind, but it seems I've made some leeway in the latter..." you murmured as you practised swinging your wooden tsurugi ('tsurugi' or つるぎ/剣 is a type of double-edged broadsword in Japanese, also known as the Chinese 'jian' or 剑) at the target, leaving fine lacerations that could be mistaken as papercuts. 

Heh... 'Death by a thousand papercuts'... you chuckled to yourself as you simultaneously used the sound elements in time to your strikes, leading the human-shaped dummy to explode. "Guess it can't hurt to practice time..." you murmured as you placed a hand on the destroyed training equipment and began channelling your spiritual energy (that you now came to know as 'mana') into the target. Squeezing your eyes shut, you focused on the various swirls and waves of mana, guiding the individual threads to weave into what you want: the dummy before you destroyed it.

Before long, your creation was complete, prompting you to open your eyes to see if you had indeed reversed time. Finding the target as good as when you started, you let out a sigh of relief and began to swing your sword again when it clattered to the ground, the sound of metal on cold cavern rock ringing throughout the forest. "Ugh... Using time... drains a lot of my... energy and mana, huh...?" you laughed dryly, seeing the world swim before your eyes as your knees buckled underneath your weight. "...Guess it's gonna be lights out for a while, huh...?" Then the world cut to black like the end of a television programme.

(Time skip - ???)

Head still reeling from your lack of energy, you slowly forced your body to sit upright, your muscles groaning with each bit of movement. Smell a homely scent filling your nose, you stumbled up as the bedding that covered you slipped to the ground with a flump. ...Blankets? I must have passed out long enough for Sensei to notice and move me to the bed... you thought as you stood up and neatly folded the duvet the way he taught you.

Moving to the dining area, you found the ghost already cooking away, making a dish with the leftover ingredients from the last time you went foraging and hunting. Taking a seat at the wooden table you had carved yourself, you looked over at the man to see that he was busy cooking away. Before long, he brought out a few earthware dinnerwear and plated the food, his usual grin still on his face.