sport gala

*Luisa*

I stood a little apart, with a good view of the dance floor. A smile inevitably slipped across my lips as I watched Checo and Carola dance.

The two of them were clearly the best thing about this evening, because so far nothing at all had gone as I had imagined.

The dress I had wanted to wear had been lost on the flight from Mexico to England. So Carola and I had gone to get a replacement and even though I liked the dress I was wearing now, it wasn't as perfect as the one I had picked out in Mexico. In addition, paparazzi had been on our heels again, which unfortunately happened again and again since Mexico.

The stylists had completely messed up Carola's and my hair and makeup afterwards, so we had finished each other's hair and make up in a hurry once again.

On the red carpet before the event, I had then been asked questions exclusively about whether I didn't perhaps like wearing nice clothes better than Formula 1 and whether I hadn't put on weight.

And to top it all off, Seb had walked up on the red carpet with a beautiful redhead on his arm.

It was an evening to forget and I would have been gone already if I hadn't been so captivated by how much Checo and Carola were taking over the dance floor.

I had never thought my teammate was a particularly good dancer, but the way he led his wife around the dance floor, he seemed really good at it. But what stood out even more was how happy they looked at each other. And it wasn't because there were a particularly large number of people around them tonight.

In all the time I'd been in Mexico, there hadn't been a day when they hadn't looked at each other like that.

"You look beautiful tonight," I winced when I heard the voice so close behind me.

I hadn't even noticed that he had come so close to me.

"Shouldn't you be telling your date that?", I asked without taking my eyes off the two of them.

"Jealous that I'm here with her and not you?", I felt Sebastian take another step towards me.

His warm breath was hitting the back of my neck now.

"No.", I replied, but realized myself how insincere that sounded.

His left hand slid down my upper arm, over my forearm, to my hand "She's just a friend. But I didn't want to show up here alone. Just in case you still haven't ditched Oscar. But I see you're alone."

"That doesn't mean I'm coming back for you because of that," I returned.

He put his hand around mine "Didn't expect to. That would be way too easy.", he took a step away behind me and then gently pulled me with him.

I wanted to stop, but his eyes flashed "Surely you don't want to draw a lot of attention to us and make a scene for me now, do you? There are way too many people here who would then overhear what was between us.".

That's what he had planned, the idiot.

So I let him pull me all the way onto the dance floor, then he put his hands in position and I followed him and let him spin me around to a tango through the people.

"What was going on in Mexico, Mäuschen? I heard you were followed by paparazzi?" he spun me around then pulled me to him.

"I don't need to talk to you," I growled as he gently slid his hand down my back.

"Come on. I'm just making small talk. Or do you want to skip that one right now and I'll find us a place to be alone?"

I just gasped. He led me unerringly through the people, only to turn me to him again and again.