over

*Luisa*

Barcelona had not really suited me. I was more than satisfied with fifth place, but had my sights set on more for Canada. I was still in the title race because there was no real favorite so far, which suited me fine.

And the fans also seemed to really enjoy the season, which has been quite exciting so far.

It was really fun and the press was enthusiastic, because it felt like there was a new favorite after every race. Always something new to report. Always a new story.

I fiddled with my microphone during the press conference with Charles and Lando.

"One more question for Charles and Luisa," one of the reporters pressed forward a bit.

I turned my attention to him.

"I hear there's quite a shakeup in the paddock. A change of several drivers in the middle of the season, that's quite unusual, but it concerns your two teams, because we can assume that these rumors are true."

I glanced sideways at Charles, who nodded.

I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Excuse me, but I haven't heard any rumors yet, would you fill me in," I laughed.

The reporter leaned forward a bit more. An almost diabolical smile crossed his lips.

"Well. Your teammate, Sebastian Vettel, will go back to Ferrari because they want someone more aggressive at Charles' side. Carlos Sainz is moving to the Red Bull main team because we all know that after Monaco the relationship between Verstappen and Perez didn't necessarily get better, and Sergio Perez will become your new teammate."

I sat there like I was shot.

I was fully aware that my eyes must have been wide open, but there was nothing I could do about it.

"You really didn't know anything yet?" the reporter asked.

As if that question was even necessary after my reaction. Still, I shook my head.

"And what do you say about it?" he asked.

I didn't know what to say. I was overwhelmed by it. 

Why hadn't anyone talked to me before?

Why hadn't anyone warned me?

And above all, why hadn't Seb said a word about it?

Hadn't he promised to always stay with me?

I swallowed, then shook my head in confusion "I can't say anything about it right now. I need to think this through first," I muttered as my eyes began to burn.

Why hadn't he told me?

It certainly hadn't just been decided yesterday that he was leaving. So why hadn't he told me? What else had he not told me, and most importantly, why?

I had always been so sure that he was honest with me. Had I been wrong all along? Had it all been an act? Had he done it just to get me into bed? Had all the words, all the gestures been lies?

I had to swallow to keep from bursting into tears and was grateful that the press conference was over shortly after. My head was racing as I rushed down the long hallway.

"You really had no idea," Charles observed.

Only now did I stop and gasp for air, only to immediately burst into tears "They're not rumors?", I sobbed, Charles shaking his head.

"And no one talked to you about it?" he asked cautiously.

This time I shook my head.

It felt as if a knife had been plunged into my back. A surprising, terrible pain that I could not shake off.