Chapter Fifty-Five: Dishonesty and Trust

Anne

Calden made his way about the hexagonally shaped room, lighting crystals. Three grey couches surrounded a central table – also hexagonal. Blue, white, and black patterned blankets were draped messily over the back of the couch Calden dropped down atop. He then gestured to an armchair across from him. "Make yourself comfortable..." Calden's voice trailed off as his stare focused on her.

"What?" she asked, finding his attention a bit unnerving.

"Your dress," he mumbled, then cleared his throat while looking away distractedly.

The front of her nightgown was covered in grey dust from being dragged through a secret tunnel. The loose fabric had ridden down – far more than even the most immodest woman would be comfortable with. Atrezin nightgowns were not designed for running about an enemy castle performing spy mischief. She quickly pulled the fabric up so Calden didn't get more of an eyeful of her chest.

"I had to put on a nightgown to convince Daniel to go to sleep. He intended to stand outside my door all night long to protect me from you."

Calden chuckled, then pulled the Echo out of his pocket, rolling the golden charm between his fingers. "How your poor shadows would faint knowing their beloved princessa is running about a Remerian castle, barefoot, with naught but a thin shift of lace and silk to protect her? Perhaps we should let ourselves be caught in the throes of passion tonight. That would convince the Remerian court of our ardent, star-crossed love."

"You wouldn't dare," she snarled.

Calden held up his hands in surrender. "I jest, I would not risk sullying your reputation."

Anne huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "But that is what you are doing. I beg of you to stop; you're driving Daniel and Marl crazy."

"Stop what?" Calden smiled.

"You know what. My fellow Atrezins do not take kindly to such bold behavior around me. I am their Princessa, I am the Doe, and I am the Voice of the Life Aria and Knight Commander Brena's future wife."

"I've noticed," Calden drawled, grabbing a pillow and fluffing it. "If I even glance in your direction they get all twitchy. But since you've asked it of me, I'll try not to provoke them, but I make no promises."

"I'd appreciate it if you made the effort."

He nodded slowly, not looking like he planned on making any effort. "I have a few questions before you speak to your brother."

"I thought you wanted me to be quick?"

"When we were out in the hall with patrols swarming about, yes, but now, we have time." He stared her down, his blue gaze sharpening. "Why don't your guards know about the Quick True Protection I gave you or the attempt on your life?"

His laidback demeanor became so serious it made her stand up straighter. She forced herself to relax, shifting back and forth on her feet. "I had to convince everyone I was the Life Aria's Voice so I could travel to the Depths. If it was discovered you had given me a Protection Enchant, some might infer my 'miracle' was actually a devious ploy. Daniel's oaths are to the Life Aria first, he'd have to report me to representatives of the Church."

Calden's brows slowly drew together in confusion. Any Atrezin would understand the implications of what she'd just said.

"I would be executed," Anne stated plainly.

"Executed?" Calden leaned forward, on edge, as if the executioner had appeared in the corner of the room with a large axe and he'd have to fight him off with a throw pillow.