Chapter Sixteen: An Expected Guest

Anne

Despite the late hour, Anne had been quickly shoved into a pink dress and her hair brushed out in loose waves down her back. Tea and snacks had been prepared in the sitting room; small sandwiches were set out on a three-tiered display that looked as if it had come straight out of a painting on the wall.

Anne personally adjusted her box of jewelry on the center of the tea table and layered some of the gaudiest pieces at the very top. One figural brooch was a solid gold yagr bird with its talons clutching a faceted blue diamond the size of a robin's egg and it was the most opulently hideous thing she'd ever seen – she wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, so Izeal would love it.

Maids fluttered about the sitting room, their grey skirts flying about them like moth wings as they tidied and re-tidied the room. Normally, Anne would sit on the beige-cushioned couch while she waited to receive guests, but her retainer Cantonia was ordering Nina to move a pillow from one end of the couch to the other and back again till the poor girl was dizzy and they still couldn't decide where best to set the throw pillow.

Anne grabbed a wooden chair and pulled it closer to the door, deciding to wait there for the performance to begin. And she didn't end up waiting there alone. Many of the younger maids also clustered about the door and Anne went along with their charade of 'fixing' her hair, when honestly, they just wanted to hear Izeal and Aiden verbally joust in the hallway. Masina was the first to shush them.

"Listen," Masina said, finger over her pale lips, ear hovering by the door. There was a resounding set of footsteps heading in their direction.

"I am here to meet with Princessa Cezanne," Izeal said, his voice muffled by the door was still loud enough for everyone to make out clearly. Juna and Sabel giggled, scooting closer to the door. Anne got out of her chair and joined them.

"This should be good," Masina muttered.

"As I told Wyak, Princessa Cezanne has been ordered bedrest by the emperor," Aiden announced sternly.

"Then you'd best go find the emperor, you don't have the authority to stop me."

There was a scuffling, a hiss of annoyance and a bang. The door shook. Anne and her maids squeaked, moving out of the way in case the door swung inward upon their curious faces.

"I will not let you pass," Aiden said.

"Are there not better uses of your time than inconveniencing me? I can lay hands upon you but you may not strike back. If I have to pull you, piece by piece, from the door, I shall."

There was silence, Izeal was giving Aiden time to consider his ultimatum.

"Fine," Aiden spat venomously as Anne and her maids took one step back from the door. "But I am going to report your actions to the emperor."

"Good, that is extent of your duty. In the meantime, stand aside." Anne couldn't see Izeal's face but she could imagine the predatory glint to his eyes as he put Aiden in his place. "The door isn't going to open itself, skyguard."

Anne lifted her mass of fluffy pink skirts as her maids scurried for the side doors. Masina took the wooden chair with her, nearly tripping over the rug in her haste. Anne threw herself onto the couch so quickly her skirts splayed across the cushions.

The door opened on the silent hinges. Aiden froze as he held the door open, his eyes locked on Anne who was fully prepared to receive Izeal. Aiden closed his eyes and sighed, rubbing the heel of his palm against his forehead.