Down the Cliffs

Jude sat on the couch, wrapped in a softy fluffy robe. He sipped his hot chocolate. "This is really good," he said. She gave him a "you're welcome" gesture. "One of the perks of being a mad housewife is you can indulge in the best imported chocolate. And please, no more of this 'Mrs. Getty' business. Call me Robin." She had made herself a sherry and set it beside on her side table.

Jude nodded. "Have you been here since your disappearance?"

"Yes. I wasn't expecting anyone to miss me, least of all...Mr. Getty."

Jude looked her in the eye. "He has been trying to look for you. Even organized a car wash. I helped wash the cars. But he never thought to look for you here?"

"I've actually always hated this place. So the plan did have a certain logic to it as this was the last place he would expect to find me and come here looking. But how did Robert get caught up in this? I suppose it got out that we were having an affair?"

"Yes, and then was some blood found on Robert's boat that turned out to be yours. Everyone was kind of afraid that something bad had happened to you and that Robert was responsible for your disappearance."

She pursed her lips. "It wouldn't be like that, he's actually a very sweet man and what we shared together wasn't even that scandalous by affair standards. We were mostly like high-school kids in love with each. Maybe more with the idea than each other. But you're all wrong about the blood thing. We were out on the boat, and I'd had a few drinks, and when a wave hit the boat I took a tumble and cut my head. That's all it was, not a body dropped in the bay somewhere." She sipped the sherry. "It's somewhat humorous that this has led to this mystery caper, aside from the fact that Robert's in a jail cell somewhere. I suppose we I need to come out of hiding, and we should make some phone calls."

Jude was about to tell her that he thought that was a great idea when the lights went out.

***

Stef turned off her lights and siren as she pulled off the highway onto a very rutted dirt road. It ended well short of the cliffs and she drove up to them and parked. The rain was still coming down although not as heavy as earlier, occasional flashes of lightning still lit the darkening sky. Ian started attaching the rappelling ropes to the SUV with Connor's help while Stef, Sophia and Taylor checked out the cove below. Taylor had brought binoculars and looked down at the dock. "I see the QuinnTessence, and there's another boat down there too."

"Maybe the one Robin Getty came in, if she's down there?"

Taylor studied the second boat. "I don't think so. It's a hunk of junk. The Getty's do have a yacht but it's not down there. There is a two mile hiking trail—she might have come that way." Ian came along side her and threw the rope down. He handed Taylor her gear and she put it on.

"You been rappelling before?" Stef asked her.

Taylor nodded. "There's a climbing wall at the Galleria, Sophia and I have been up and down it a bunch of times."

"Oh," Stef said. "I did not know that."

"Do you want to lead?"

"Sure," Stef said, clipping herself to the rope. Ian handed her a helmet and she fastened it on and started down the cliff face.

***

"The generator isn't coming on," Robin said to Jude. "That's odd. I'll go out and check it out."

Jude was testing the phone. "There's no dial tone."

"Maybe the storm has knocked them both out. I'd better go out and check."

"I should come with you," Jude said, throwing the bathrobe off. "To help."

"I think I have a jacket that will fit you," she said, stopping at the closet by the door. She retrieved one and Jude tried it on.

"Yeah, it's ok. Thanks."

She put her own jacket on and they went outside. The wind was blowing and it was still raining. Robin stopped. "Was that boat here when you came in the QuinnTessence?" she asked.

"No," Jude said.

Robin looked around. "I think we better go back inside and lock up." They went back inside and she locked and bolted the door. "I'll be right back," she said, and disappeared down the hall. Jude waited anxiously while she came back. When she did so, she handed Jude a flashlight and a gun.

"I've never actually shot one before," he protested. "Maybe you should?"

"You'll do fine," she said. "If something moves, just point and fire."

"Yeah, that did work out so well the last time," Jude muttered to himself. He heard someone rattle the door.

"You expecting anyone?" she whispered. He shook his head, and tip-toed up to the door. There was a faint draft coming in. He sniffed the air carefully. He walked back over to her. "Definitely not anyone I know."

***

Stef pushed off and dropped on the rope the remaining twenty feet to the ground. She stepped away as Taylor was right above her, followed by Sophia and Connor. Ian stayed behind to help them back up if needed.

"Mike check," Taylor said. They were all wired up with short-range radios." Sophia, Stef and Connor nodded at her.

"Got you," Ian said in her ear.

"Let's check out that other boat," Taylor suggested. 

Stef nodded and drew her weapon. She ran up to the dock, taking cover along the way amongst the various trees and plants. She looked at the dock area and ran up to the edge of the boat. Taylor, Sophia and Connor followed. "Connor, help me up," Taylor said. He boosted her up on the boat. It wasn't a very large boat, the cabin was barely large enough for two people, and empty. She checked the deck, there were crates fastened to it. She saw a crowbar hanging and grabbed it and with a deft push of her leg against it, cracked open one of the crates. She ran back over to the edge and Connor helped her down.

"Methamphetamine," Taylor said to Stef. "They must be trying to use the storm as a cover."

"We've got find whoever was in that boat," Stef said grimly.

"You lead, Sophia and I will cover. Connor, stay behind Sophia."

Stef advanced towards the Getty beach house. "You and Sophia are getting pretty good at this."

"Yeah, well we want to be like you when we grow up. You're our role model, actually."

Stef looked back her and smiled at that.

"Sophia," Taylor called. "Sweep plan!"

***

"There's a back way out," Robin said to Jude. "If we go down the hiking trail about a quarter-mile, there's a spot where cellular reception works."

"I fell into the water when I got here, my phone isn't working," Jude said.

"I've got mine," Robin said. "Let's go."

She led Jude to the back of the house. Quietly they slipped outside. Jude inhaled the rainy air and pushed her out of the way. A older Hispanic man grabbed him, jammed a gun to his temple. Around the corner the breeze swirled around the house. "Connor, no!" Jude called out.

Stef peered around the corner and lunged out, followed by Taylor and Sophia, who shined a light on the man holding a gun to Jude's head. Connor was behind her, his face drained as he saw Jude.