Santee Lakes

"So," Connor asked. "Where are we going?" He and Jude were playing Xbox in the Fosters' living room.

"Santee Lakes," Jude said. "Frank, Stef's dad, had a timeshare there and he left it to Sharon, his ex-wife. She's invited us there for the weekend."

"Oh. Who else is going?"

"Stef and Lena, and us. Mariana is still recovering and is at her grandparent's, Brandon's at Idyllwild, Jesus is at boarding school and Callie is spending the weekend at Robert's."

"Have you ever been to this place?"

"No, but I checked it out online and it looks pretty nice. We'll be in a bunk bed, but we usually don't need that big of a bed, so we can probably just put our stuff on the top bunk."

Connor grinned at him. "Well, that's because we sleep glued together."

Jude pointed his finger at him. "And you like it that way. You started that whole spooning thing, you know."

Connor smirked at him.

***

"Good to see you, Jude dear," Sharon said. "And what's your name again?" she asked Connor. "Cameron?"

"Connor." He held his hand out.

"Yeah right, com'on, bring it in for me." She opened her arms and he hugged her with a smile.

"Just so you know," Jude said, "Connor's my boyfriend."

Her eyebrows shot up. "Really?" she gave him a pat on the arm. "Look at you, getting a handsome, muscled little stud like Connor. You two 'hooking up' or whatever the euphemism for sex is these days?"

"We're only thirteen grandma, we're probably a bit young for that?"

"I dunno," she said, checking out Connor's backside. "If I were you I'd get some of that ass while I could."

"GRANDMA!!!"

"Hey, take it from an old person—don't waste time. I'll get dinner ready." She walked out.

"Oh my God," Connor laughed. "Is she always like that?"

"Pretty much."

"It's so funny, first Taylor wanted us to get laid, and now your grandma? This is so weird."

"Technically she's Stef's mom."

Connor pointed his finger at him. "Technically, you're adopted into that family and she's your grandma."

Jude smiled.

***

The sun was setting and Sharon was drying the last of the dishes. Lena and Stef were each reading a book on the couch. Outside on the porch, Connor and Jude were sitting next to each other, arms around each other's shoulders and Jude's head tucked next to Connor's. "Stef, how come I never see you and Lena like that anymore. You two having a rough time?"

Stef looked up. "No, everything's fine. We're just not thirteen and head over heels like Connor and Jude."

"You used to be head over heels. Did something change?"

Lena looked up. "It might have had something to do with five kids and all the teenage dramas they've gotten themselves into. Even those two got into that, sneaking out and Connor getting shot."

"Sounds like you're making excuses. Are you sure everything is alright? I mean, look at those two, they've been inseparable since they got here."

"It's been going on a lot longer than that," Lena said with a smile. "I'd think they would have gotten tired of each other by now but now that school's out they spend practically every second together."