The Jonnor Mission

Taylor verified her checklist on her Macbook Pro for the 3rd time and then saved it to iCloud. For good measure she printed a copy and put it in her school binder before slipping it and the laptop into her backpack.

"Dad, I need you to drop me off at the Stevens' before school!"

He came out of his room. "We better leave now then, you have something to drop something off for Connor or you need to talk to him?"

She nodded at him. "I'll be studying after school today, probably be home late."

"You're such a good student honey, I'm proud of you."

They got into the car and made the short drive to the Stevens residence. Taylor got out and ran up to the door.

Mr. Stevens answered. "Oh, hi Taylor. If you're looking for Connor, he already left for school."

"Actually, I'm here to ask you something." She smiled at him.

***

Taylor walked down the hall, scanning the kids moving towards their next class. When she was sure the coast was clear, she took a slip of paper and quickly stuffed into the grill in Jude's locker, then crossed the hall to Connor's locker and did the same with another slip of paper.

She went down to the end of the hall and quietly entered a classroom that was empty since the seniors had already finished their term last week. She got the laptop out of her bag, opened it and entered the password, and then brought up a VLC playlist. Then she got her phone out and dialed.

"Anchor Beach Community Charter School, Vice-Principal Adams Foster speaking."

Taylor hit play on one of the tracks. "This Taylor's father, Gary."

"Oh hi, Gary. What's up?"

Taylor hit another track. "I need to excuse Taylor today, she isn't feeling well."

"Oh, sorry to hear that. I hope she's feeling better soon."

Taylor hit play. "Me too. Have a good day."

"You too, Gary. Goodbye."

Taylor hung up the phone. Looking very pleased with herself, she opened Notepad on the computer.

7:55am. This operation is officially underway.

***

Stef was working on a report, her reading glasses perched on her nose.

"You have a visitor," Mike said to her. She looked up.

"Oh, hi Taylor. Is something wrong? Aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"That's why I'm here, actually," she said, sitting on the chair next to Stef's desk. "I'm going to be on the 8th grade student committee next year and one of the things we're planning is community visits, where we have people like first responders and stuff visit the school and teach us about their jobs and answer any questions the kids have."

"Oh," Stef said, smiling. "That's a great idea. I suppose you want me to participate?"

"That would be great," Taylor said. She coughed. "Um, do you have any water?"

"Yeah, stay here sweetie I'll get you some." She got up and went into the break room.

Looking around, Taylor got the flash drive out of her backpack and quickly slipped it into Stef's desk drawer.