Day Trip

"Hey," Jude said to Connor. "You want to go out somewhere tomorrow? Maybe swimming or the Pier?"

Connor gave him a confused look. "It's the Anchor Beach Day Trip tomorrow."

Jude returned the look. "What?"

"At least, I thought it was." Connor unlocked his phone and looked at the calendar. "Yeah, it's tomorrow."

"What is...the Anchor Beach Day Trip?"

"Oh, it's sort of like the camping trip we went on, but it's just for the day. It's like a field trip, an opportunity to see your school friends, that sort of thing..." He looked very puzzled. "Lena hasn't said anything about this to you?"

***

"Oh, hey Jude, Connor," Lena greeted. "I was thinking of baking some cookies. Does that sound good?"

"Mom, what is the Anchor Beach Day Trip?"

Lena looked at him in confusion. And then horror. "Oh honey, I forgot all about the fact that it's your first year here. It's a field trip the kids take early in the summer, see-"

"Yeah, Connor told me about it, I just hadn't ever heard of it before."

"Sorry sweetie it just slipped my mind. Monte and I have been reviewing curriculum changes for next year and my brain is overwhelmed. I just forgot about it."

"No worries," he said. "Want help with the cookies?"

"I'll help too," Connor said, pouring out some of the chocolate chips. He pinched one of them between his fingers and then wiped it on Jude's lips.

"Haha, now you have to kiss it off," Jude said.

"Well yeah, why do you think I did it?" he pulled Jude into him and started kissing his lips.

***

"Last year was so fun," Connor said. "Turns out I'm really good at horseshoes." He looked at Jude. "You okay with all of this babe? It's just gonna be our school friends. Will that kick on your social anxiety?"

"I don't think so." Jude was packing his swim trunks and a towel.

"Well, let me know. I want to make sure I take care of you bb, I'm still sorry about screwing it up last time."

"You didn't screw it up, and you don't have to be sorry. That was just a sucky party."

Connor laughed. "Yeah it was."

***

When Jude and Connor got on the bus, there weren't two adjoining seats left, but the seat next to Taylor was empty and she waved them over. Connor sat by the window, Jude next to him and Taylor in front of Jude. She turned around to talk to him. "Hey Jude, how have you been?"

"Good, I've been meaning to thank you for all that stuff you did for Connor and me. We didn't end up, you know, but it was still a very special date. There's just one thing I haven't been able to figure out. How did you make those notes that looked like they were in our own handwriting?"

She shrugged. "I took pictures of papers both of you had written, and then assembled the glyphs into custom Jude and Connor fonts."

"Oh. I didn't know you could...do that." Jude looked impressed.