Talking to Stef and Lena

"Did you write the check for the light bill?" Lena asked. She and Stef were in the kitchen, getting dinner ready.

Stef was chopping lettuce. "Yes, and the sewer bill, it's due this week too."

"Oh, thank you. I forgot about that one."

Jude cleared his throat.

"Oh, hi Jude, Connor! Didn't see you guys come in. Dinner's not quite ready yet."

"That's okay," Jude said. "There's something we'd like to uh, talk to you guys about." He stood at the edge of the kitchen table, and Connor took a chair next to him so he could rest his foot.

Stef and Lena turned to them. "What's up?" Stef asked.

"My dad talked to Lena yesterday," Connor said.

Stef glanced at Lena. "Oh?"

Lena smiled, but didn't say anything.

"He's joining the LGBT parent support group at school, and he gave his permission for Jude and I to start dating."

Stef looked like she'd been been bitten by a snake. She looked in shock at Lena, who nodded.

Jude gave his moms his best smile. "We want to ask you for the same."

Stef stared at them disbelieving. Lena nodded to her. They walked around the table to the boys, taking them both in their arms.

"See, I knew they'd be cool with it," Jude said, and then moved his face to Connor's. They kissed, and out of the corner of his eye Jude saw his moms kiss too.

Stef rubbed Jude's shoulder. "I'm happy for you love, but we do need to set a few rules. No sneaking out, and you need to let us know where you are. No closed doors, no alcohol or drugs. And you know where the condoms are, right Jude?"

He nodded, feeling incredibly bashful all of the sudden. "Yeah, we know about safe sex. We're uhhh, not quite ready for that yet."

Connor nodded, looking him in the eyes. "We don't really want to rush this at all. We've already waited so long it's just...we don't want to miss anything."

Stef smiled brightly. "Awwww, you two are so sweet together. But this is about more than biological acts. I'm talking about feelings. It's good that Adam is wanting to work on his homophobia but you should both try not to push it too much."

Connor nodded. He bit his lip, a pensive look on his face. "I'm still kind of in shock that he's even doing this."

Lena laughed. "That makes two of us. But he did seem sincere when he talked to me."

Stef nodded. "We just want you to come talk to us, if you feel overwhelmed or you need anything."

Connor wrapped all of them into a hug. "I never thought I'd have a parent I could do that with. But if Jude's my partner I guess you're my moms, too."

Jude smiled up at him happily.