The Connor Conspiracy

Jude, Stef, Lena; Sophia, Robert, Jill; Connor, Adam; Mike, the Chief, Turner; Taylor and her parents, Gary and Branka, were all in the U.S. District Attorney's Office.

"Do you have any idea at all of how irregular this thing is?" The D.A. asked Turner.

"It's an unusual case, Bill."

"Unusual doesn't even begin to describe it. Three minors involved in a hostage situation? Do you know what Washington would do to me if they get wind of this? They would rip both our offices up one side and down the other. And yours, too," he continued, pointing at the Chief.

"In fairness to them," Turner said. "They're exceptional teenagers, and this operation had gone south badly. If they hadn't been there, there would have been law enforcement and civilian casualties. Walsh almost certainly would have died, Connor and Miguel in the explosion, and Officer Foster Adams would have been shot by Rodriguez. Do you really prefer that outcome?"

"Of course not."

"Without Jude's pheromonal abilities, we would have never found Miguel and Connor," Taylor said. "Sophia was the only who had a chance at Garcia, and I only shot Rodriguez when it was obviously he was going to hurt Stef." She looked at Jude and Sophia, who nodded. "We're prepared to accept whatever the consequences are of our involvement."

The D.A. snorted. "I'll leave that up to your parents. What everyone in this room is going to do, is to not talk about this highly questionable operation to ANYONE. And as far as you two go—" he pointed his fingers at the Chief and Turner. "I expect you both to sort out your operations."

Turner nodded. "I've already spoken to Taylor and Sophia's parents, and we agree that while they did us all a great service, their future activities should be more closely and professionally monitored. That's why they'll both be joining our Future Agents In Training program."

Jude looked sideways at Taylor with his mouth hanging open. She smiled shyly back.

"Have I made myself clear?" The D.A. continued. "None of you is to say anything about these activities to anybody, ever."

They all nodded.

***

"Wow, you're actually going to be working with the FBI," Jude said to Taylor.

"Yeah, there's a five day F.A.I.T. seminar later in the summer in Washington DC. Sophia and I will both be going. And Turner is going to have us work with the local office here once a week."

"So cool," Jude said. "You've obviously got the talent for it."

She looked down, then up. Smiled. "Thanks. You've always been great at inspiring me to develop it. And I think law enforcement is where I belong. I know that Connor rescue was super stressful, kinda crazy and scary, but part of me was thinking about how I could do it every day."

He grinned in admiration at her. "No doubt you could." His face darkened somewhat. "What was it like? Shooting him?"

She shrugged. "I had to do it. He was going to hurt or kill Stef. He was a pretty bad man, Jude. I don't feel sorry for ending his life."

He nodded. "It's just, I've never killed anything, let alone a person."

She put her arm around him. "That's because you're a very kind person, Jude. And that is a great quality to have. The world really needs more kind people."

***

"Will this family ever be normal?" Stef said to Lena, as they got ready for bed. "When I talk to other parents, their kids aren't running away, making fake ID's at school or getting themselves abducted and almost blown up."