Weapons of Protection

Jude tried to stand still while Lena took all his measurements at the department store. She read off some numbers to him and he started looking at pants while she measured Connor. She gave him his numbers and he joined Jude browsing the selection. "Gym day tomorrow," Connor said to Jude. "My dad will be back this afternoon, you still want to come with us? It's leg day."

Jude nodded at him. "Yeah. I gotta start somewhere, right?"

Connor tilted his head at him. "You don't have to do this for me. You know that, right?"

"Yeah, I know. I want to. Besides, it would be nice to get to know your dad a little better, especially since we, y'know, didn't start out great."

Connor nodded at him. Both he and Jude picked out some pants and shorts. Connor winked at him. "Maybe I should get a speedo. Would you like to see me in that?"

Jude raised his eyebrows. "Yeah, or maybe just not wearing anything."

Connor smiled. "Thinking about that shower we took together?"

Jude pursed his lips. "More like that waking up thing where I was having my way with you."

Connor grinned slyly. "Well if you want to continue where we left off, let me know."

Jude winked at him. "I definitely will. And that speedo idea is still a pretty good one."

***

"Where's Connor?" Taylor asked Jude on FaceTime.

"Oh, his dad's back in town and picked him up. They were gonna run some errands. I'm going with them to the gym tomorrow."

She nodded. "Thanks for sending those additional Ronnoc details. I'll definitely need them. It's still okay if I come to you with questions, right?"

"Sure, anytime." He gave her a concerned look. "Uhhh, do you need money or anything for it? I know you were treating us last time but it seems like this could get expensive."

She grinned tightly at him. "Black budgets are a national secret buddy. Don't worry, I'm on it. I decided to get a patron for this one, and I think I've secured one. You'll probably be very surprised when you learn who it is."

Jude regarded her quizzically. "Someone's going to fund you on this? Why?"

"Maybe they just want to," she said. "Or maybe they feel like they want to make up for something."

Jude bit his lip. Who could she be referring to? "Like I said, the less I know the better, probably."

She nodded. "Don't worry about it then. You feeling okay about all the Robert stuff?"

He thought about it. "Yeah, yeah I am. I was wondering if you would do something though. Can you send over all the stuff you got on Mr. Getty and his business? I just want to look it over. I feel like we've missed something."

"Or maybe you don't want to think that Robert is or could be guilty?"

He gave a side nod. "Or maybe that too. Oh hey-I'm gonna ask Stef if she can teach me to shoot."

"Why? Not planning on having Connor be abducted again, are you?"

"No, I just think it's cool that you and Sophia know how and I want to try it."

"You probably won't like it, Jude. It's a pretty violent thing and that isn't you."

"Maybe you're right. I just want to try it."