Chapter Four, Part One - Hot And Cold

Start from the beginning

"I don't know much about Thalia," Addy replied to my silent question. "She tends to run her own way – not exactly a team player. In fact, I can't remember a time when I've seen any of the Talimers at a Pack gathering – including Paris."

"I didn't even know my mother had a sister," I said, pensive. "I wonder why Jack never said anything."

But Adelle only shrugged in reply. "Shit," Addy said in clear annoyance. "Looks like I'll be starting my hang-over early..."

"Why?" But a quick glance around the bar provided me with the answer. Ethan Knight was headed our way, a self-important and determined look on his face. That night he looked exceptionally cute in purple Keds, paired with black skinny jeans that had a silver chain looped from his belt to his pocket. His grey hoodie read "DON'T QUOTE ME", covering a chest that I knew was hard and perfect underneath.

"Hello, Ethan," said Adelle in a loud voice. "How's that prescription working for you? Did it stop all the itching down there?"

"Hey, Addy, take a hike. Right now I'm more interested in having conversation with someone I actually like." His reply was smooth and unflinching. Addy shot me disapproving look, but I nodded to let her know she was ok to leave.

"Fine. That guy in the corner's been giving me fish eyes since we got here. I'm gonna go make him buy me a real drink."

Addy slid out of her seat, with a last affronted look, sauntering off as Ethan deftly took her place. He surveyed me with an unwavering stare, clearly waiting for me to address him. He adjusted his purple snap-back, smiling. God he smelled so good–like coconuts.

I cleared my throat. "What?

"You haven't called," he replied with teasing charm. "Someone's resisting..."

"And why would I call you?" I took a sip of my beer.

"Because deep down we both know you like me – you're just not ready to admit it. Classic symptom of your basic crush."

"Awww, I'm flattered, Ethan. You always know just the right thing to say."

"Really?" He stole a quick taste of my beer. "So if I asked you to be my date to the Fall Gala, does that mean you'd say yes?" Ethan leaned forward intimately, lazily tracing one of his fingertips across the back of my hand.

"I'm sorry--date? Gala?" I was unable to look away from the sight of his hand on mine.

"Every season my family hosts a gala. There's expensive food, good wine, and usually an auction to help raise funds for whatever issue we're all pretending to care about--it's really quite a show. Trust me, you wouldn't wanna miss all that boring small talk."

I pulled my hand away. "Ethan, you have a girlfriend," I said hotly.

"It's ok--Eve broke up with me last night."

"That doesn't change anything. You should've mentioned Eve. And I know you didn't come all the way over here and get rid of Addy just to ask me to the Gala. So what do you really want?"

To be honest, for all my bravado, I was having a hard time resisting Ethan and his ability to lure girls. After all, I'd heard the boy was a pro. But I reminded myself that I wasn't his equal, I was Ethan's prey–just another potential victim. Fortunately, I was too smart to fall into the trap.

"What I want... is you," he said roughly. He jerked my stool closer to his. "Because something tells me that if I can have you, I can have the world. And if you ask me any guy would be crazy to pass up an opportunity like that..."

I blinked and suddenly his lips were awfully close to mine, the smell of coconuts now strong enough to taste. I struggled for all of an instant but already I was weakening.... weakening... weakening... lost. So I closed my eyes and prepared for his kiss...

"Hey, when do you plan on payin' your tab, Knight?!" Even from his place at the till, Lucas' booming voice blew an effective hole in the moment. I opened my eyes again and cleared my throat, feeling stupid and embarrassed.

Knowing that I was still under Lucas' heavy gaze, I hastily pulled away from the snake charmer. Ethan retaliated by shooting Lucas a perceptive smirk before taking my hand again anyway. He pulled me from the stools to a darker section of the bar where we could have more privacy. I watched him lean casually against the wall and this time Ethan didn't wait to speak.

"In case you didn't know, my dad is a member of the Leadership, and he happened to come across some pretty interesting news recently. Supposedly, your grandfather is making you a Pack Leader – and you don't even have to be voted in. Is that true?"

"Yes, ok?" I scowled. "And for your information, I don't have to be 'voted in' because the Eldership is my birthright. Besides, why do you care?"

"You know damn well why I care, Naomi. So, you accepted, right?"

My eyes darted back to the head of the bar where Lucas was still rooted to the same spot. He made no attempts to mask his curiosity, but I knew that even with the Wolf's keen hearing Lucas couldn't hear our conversation from above the din of the music and the crowd. "The Elder is going to announce it tomorrow," I said coldly. "At the gathering."

"Well, did the Elder tell you that you can appoint yourself a Champion?"

"A Champion?" Immediately I was skeptical. "What's that?"

"A Champion is an Elder's--or a potential Elder's--second in command. "They protect you and advise you. And should anything happen to you – god forbid – they would take your place on the Leadership."  Ethan's words were coated in honey and sugar, urging me to trust him. Too bad I didn't.

"Which means I'd be putting you in the perfect opportunity for a shot at the Eldership one day. I guess you've never heard of doing something just for the sake of being nice have you?"

"Oh, I could be nice to you all night long, Naomi," Ethan coolly replied. He continued to lean against the wall, deriving obvious pleasure from my distress. "But actually, I'm offering this to you because I know it could be a good thing for both of us."

My curiosity effectively piqued, I took a single step forward. "Continue."

Ethan gave a slow smile. "My family has a lot of pull in Harbor. You can capitalize on that just by appointing yourself a reputable Champion."

"I could ask Addy," I said obstinately.

To my fury, Ethan chuckled. "Don't be naïve. The Leadership won't be impressed by Adelle--you'll only annoy them. C'mon, think about it--I'm your pick. Put me in Coach."

I surveyed him with a deep, burning mistrust, but I was relenting all the same. Because what he promised could actually prove beneficial, providing I truly worked the circumstance to my advantage.

"Fine. Ethan, you can be my Champion."

Immediately, I was swept into a tight embrace. Ethan twirled me on the spot, earning a sharp, unfamiliar squeal of laughter. He set me down, dizzy, and I leaned against him until the world was back in focus. And when it was, Adelle was suddenly there again. She stood before me, tucked beneath the arm of a cute boy in a letterman jacket with bedroom eyes that were for Addy only.

"My adorable new friend here has found us a party. Free drinks. You in?"

Briefly I looked to Ethan who flashed me an extremely sexy half-smile. "Um, yeah."

"Then let's go," she replied, heading for the bar's exit.

Ethan threw his arm over my shoulder. "You can ride with me." But as he steered me to the exit, I couldn't help but take one last look behind me. Lucas stared back at me with that same, puzzling frown, looking for all the world as if he needed to say something... but couldn't. 

*  *  *