18. A taste of what is to come

Warning: This chapter and the upcoming ones will contain spoilers!

Upon their arrival, the two sorcerers were met by a worried Utahime, who went to check on them. Mai was still furious due to the fact that the curse they had just fought was way above the grade they were told. Tho she calmed down during the trip.

Mai: "You lied to us! We could've died back there!"

Utahime: "I'm sorry! The intel I gave you was the one I was given!"

(y/n): "It's alright Mai. You had me on your side, so we're okay!"

Mai: "Shut up!"

Utahime: "I'm going to see what's behind this. I promise..."

(y/n): "It's alright, Utahime-san. We eliminated the curse so. it's fine, besides we're here alive."

Utahime: "Right... Speaking of which, where's the finger?"

Mai: "..."

(y/n): "What finger?"

Utahime: "Didn't Mai-san tell me it was a finger bearer?"

Mai: "Well... Uhm."

By this time, Mai was still in (y/n)'s arms, but she had seemed to forget and was comfy there, she even fell asleep mid-way. Besides, he had no problem with it, for him, Mai looked cute ranting about the curse while being held. 

(y/n): "Mai has fingers."

Utahime: "It's not those whose I'm talking about. Now hurry up. Hand It to me."

Mai: "(y-y/n)?"

Mai felt that she was slowly going down, and she was. Mai quickly put down her feet and turned to look at (y/n) who was now on the ground. Blood leaked from his bandages.

Utahime: "(y/n)-san!"

Mai: "(y/n)!"

Utahime: "Let's take him to the infirmary!"

They both lifted him up by the shoulders, and took him to the infirmary, laid him down in one of the beds, and took off his jacket and shirt in search of wounds. Mai had a slight shade of pink on her cheeks doing it, while it was normal for Utahime, the nurse wasn't there and it was her wounded student so. He didn't have injuries but he had some strange marks on his back, a strange combination of symbols, shapes, and kanjis.

Utahime: "He seems fine but, his bandage's all bloody. Did something happen to his eyes?"

Mai: "No."

Utahime: "We'll have to see then."

Mai: "Wait, Utahime-sensei!"

But she was quick in cutting his bandages, truth be told she wanted to check his eyes for mere curiosity rather than tending to her student.

Utahime: "Let's take a look!"

She had quickly cleaned the dry blood surrounding his eyes and was even quicker to open his eyelids, revealing his (e/c) eyes once again. Mai again could only stare at them but realized something, the kanji on them had a soft blue glow but besides that, the kanji itself seemed to be less visible.

Utahime: "There they are..."

Utahime kept seeing them, the so famous eyes of his.

Mai: "D-do you know something about them, Utahime-sensei?"

Utahime: "I know some of it, but there is more to them, sadly those secrets are well kept by the major clans, and it's only available for the 'higher ranks' of them."