Chapter 28: The Ten Commandments

Rinni's POV

We soon decided to go into the training chamber to test out our powers. And surprise, surprise, I'm all alone. Then again, it can't be helped since we're only supposed to stick by pairs and it was an odd number of people. I walked around, holding a... well I don't know what to really call it. I mean don't get me wrong, I got the same sticks as the rest did but it's a little bit longer compared to the others to accommodate the familiarity of an ax handle. I heard a loud roar to my left, and I ran toward it. The sooner I finish this, the sooner I'm done.

I saw an adult Earth Crawler charging at me. I jumped and rolled to the side to avoid its first attack. I tried to attack it, keyword tried, but it didn't work. So I resulted in dodging and basically ran away for my life. Was the trail all a lie? Was it just so I can come to terms with my past? Damn it! I began to let my anger and frustration get to me. I screamed out a battle cry and charged at the earth crawler. I aimed to hit it on the head and struck, but instead of the stick striking it, something else did.

A black, or maroon-ish mass of muscle and tendons in the shape of an ax head did, its blade clearly made out of metal and sharp enough to injure the earth crawler. My eyes widened and I looked for the source of the material, only to find it was coming from my arms. I instantly backed away and let go of the stick. The black/maroon-ish mass retreated into my arms, my skin was pitch black and emitting black smoke before it went back to its normal skin tone, well not without small crack-like markings on my right wrist. My hands shook as I watched it happen.

I-it can't be... there's no way it would be here.

For fuck's sake I don't even have an armlet! How?! Do I have it? Do I have an aragami infection?

But how? Wouldn't that happen if your armlet or god arc was broken, thus making the oracle cells bonded to you become unstable and consume you? I could only stare at my hands in shock and horror as my mind spiraled to find answers. I didn't even notice I was safe and ready to go outside until I heard my name being called.

I walked out staying silent, in the back of my mind, it was still nagging me. Everyone tried to talk to me to see if my trial worked but I just shrugged them off and told them I don't want to talk about it. We left Ishtar and headed off. I was still trapped in my thoughts as we traveled until we stopped at Vaizel for the tournament.

I aimlessly followed Meliodas and the others as we went into the maze, I kept my silence. I didn't even notice that we got separated and that now I'm with Meliodas and Arthur. Only when it was time for us to eat did they decide to really confront me.

"Okay, what happened in the Cave of Training that's got you like this?" asked Meliodas

"I-" before I continued I took a deep breath and sighed

"In one of the worlds I've been to, there's something called Aragamis, these are monsters that consume anything in their path, both figuratively and literally. Aragamis are the living and breathing definition of the phrase "you are what you eat". They are able to consume anything, from buildings to animals, and humans as well." I explained

"Of course, at first, people didn't know how to fight them, any weapon they had was either ineffective or consumed. Until they created God Arcs, an artificial aragami, but artificial or not a God Arc is still an aragami, so it needs to devour. It's only by chance you become compatible with one, thus being safe from the God Arc's urge to devour and being able to control it. But there is a risk to it, it's called the Aragami Infection. It's where these foreign cells in a God Arc, called Oracle Cells, start to consume you because bonds went unstable. It starts from the connection of the source, which is an armlet that's around the wrist, like a bracelet, but... bulkier." I uttered while drawing the armlet on the ground