Chapter 22: Rookie Fire Soldier Games

Rinni's POV

Some days passed and I was finally cleared to do a lot more because my injuries have fully healed. Captain Obi called Shinra and me to his office on one random day. We entered and immediately the first thing we saw was the captain lifting heavy weights. How strong is this guy?! Like I get it that he basically has no power like second or third generations and he has to do that to be stronger, but what the fuck?! How?!

"Ah! Rinni! Shinra! Perfect Timing. You two will join in the Rookie Fire Soldier Games"

"So what are the Rookie Fire Soldier Games?" asked Shinra

"Like what do we do there?" I asked

"It's a competition where all the fire force rookies that joined this year get to show off their abilities. And it's coming up pretty soon. You two are gonna represent company 8 alongside our new recruit, who we're expecting later today."

"Wait, Sir, a new recruit?"

"There's another recruit coming?"

"Indeed there is"

The captain then began balancing another set of weights on top of his head. Again, how strong is this guy?!

"Hey, uh, captain. Will there be other fire soldiers aside from us rookies at this contest?" Shinra asked

"Well yeah. Some of us will come and cheer you all on"

After asking more questions about the rookie fire force games we left the office. Shinra and I walked talking about what might happen and possible strategies when we noticed something.

"Oh... the devil..."

"Oh no, not this bullshit again. I don't wanna deal with you two. Shinra, Arthur, behave please."

"Hoped I'd never see you again you damned knight"

"And... they don't listen. Well fuck this, I'm out"

I left the two to their own devices and went off to train for the rookie games. Soon enough I was being dragged off by Lt. Hinawa on the back collar of my uniform. I tried to avoid it because I had a feeling those two would be up there. Oh, how right I was when we got there. After a quick back and forth, the lieutenant ordered Maki to take the three of us on. Maki got into a fighting pose and I ignited my hands and arms. As soon as those are in effect, I formed my trusty flaming ax. First, one she charges is Shinra, I jump in as backup. Shinra's flames, as well as mine, are gone, but that doesn't stop me.

I smirk and charge on. I have been trained in this way before, so I can't let it all go to waste. Shinra is soon thrown off the building. I jump and grab his feet, using my momentum to throw him back to the roof, and with the extra momentum, reach and land on the roof below the main one. I do the tuck and roll, and then try to stop my momentum by running and jogging. Once I was at a complete stop a sigh of relief came through. The others were staring at me but I just signaled I was okay, so they continued to spar.

Parkour time, I backed up a bit before running directly to the edge of the roof I was on. When I got close enough, I jumped and threw my hands and arms straight back and shot a blast of fire causing me to be lifted up with more force. I grabbed the ledge and used my momentum earlier to push my body up.

Using all the momentum I also used my hands to help me push off to land a hit on Maki. Sadly she caught on, grabbed my leg, and threw me towards Arthur. I got off him and got into a fighting stance, but then Arthur did one of the stupidest things he can do. Calling Maki an ogre, then Shinra joined in and called her a brute, well they're fucked. Never mess with a woman who is stronger than you.