Chapter 23: Tree of Fire

Rinni's POV

The next day after the incident both Shinra and I were called into the captain's office. No news about the incident or any info on the stranger who we now know as Joker.

"Seems suspicious not to mention it. The fire force has something to hide?"

"That or they don't want reputations to be gone to shreds"

After a moment of silence from the three of us, there was a knock on the door. Lieutenant Hinawa entered the room.

"Sorry to interrupt but I've got the results. The analysis of the substance Joker used to blow up the training facility. They examined its components. The main one is infernal ashes"

"Those ashes... belonged to an infernal" Shinra asked after getting over the shock

"That's... Messed up"

"Turning the remains of the dead into an explosive? Sick bastard" the captain said in anger.

We continued to talk until we were dismissed and assigned to do our paperwork. I ignored the two as I worked. Soon enough we got a call about helping a dog down from a tree. The three of us got sent there. Once arriving at the location, we see it was one of the mascots of the Fire Force. We learned that someone about the firefighter murders and how the verdict was today, in relation to why the mascot was up the tree. We helped hand out the balloons to people, especially kids. Suddenly we heard the emergency dispatch and we noticed the matchbox pass the alleyway we were in.

"Shinra... Rinni... Arthur... I know you punks are around here. Wondering the streets without permission. When we get back, I am going to redefine your understanding of the word punishment."

I quickly gave the balloons back to the mascots and set my arms ablaze. Shinra and Arthur followed suit apologizing for the sudden leave. I jumped up and blasted myself off, Shinra followed behind me but not without Arthur grabbing onto him, and the three of us rushed beside the matchbox.

"Oh, hey. It's you three! Wait, this is a public road you shouldn't fly here!" Lt. Hinawa said

"Yeah, we'll move higher soon! But could you tell us about that infernal?!" Shinra asked

"It was a murder defendant! He was being tried at Ueno District Court! He's attacking bystanders as we speak! You three hurry ahead and help out in the scene, okay?!"

"Yes sir!" Shinra responded and he sped up

"Saving lives should be your top priority!" the lieutenant screamed

"Roger that sir!" I said

I concentrated my flames to fly faster, while also pulling up to avoid anyone getting hurt as I flew. We soon reached the courthouse and we can see the infernal holding someone hostage. Shinra kicked the infernal, causing Arthur to be thrown in the same direction as the infernal went. I sped up not wanting to miss the action. Arthur delivered a backhand punch at the infernal and before it could talk, I kicked it right on the jaw. Shinra and Arthur followed up with a kick to the shoulders causing the infernal to be thrown away again. Soon the rest of the team came.

The infernal tried to surrender, giving the logic that he was innocent and not willing to fight and it would be murder if we killed him. The infernal goes off after getting shot by Lt. Hinawa. This caused Shinra and I to go ahead and catch up to the infernal, captain's orders. We soon landed in Akihabara, as the infernal threatened to hurt the civilians who were running away. Shinra kicked the infernal in my direction, and I returned it to his direction with a punch, to which he kicked to the side so it roughly hit the side of the road.