Prison

The darkness was no longer dense and stabbing as it had been a moment ago

The darkness was no longer dense and stabbing as it had been a moment ago. Needle guns and automatic weapons chirped somewhere in the distance. There was a sailor's swearing. Familiar phrases that usually fly off the tongue in a strong storm, or when someone spoils the air in the forecastle.

"Are you here?" The voice of the girl to my right rang out.

"Yes," I whispered, "where are we?"

"In a secret room I suppo..." did not finish May-e-oka and wheezed and twitched in pain.

"Cyborg, stop it," I whispered to myself, and then shouted louder, "stop it!"

But Sha Zumm didn't hear me or the girl's moan. By touch, I crawled forward and painfully hit my forehead on the leg of either a table or a ladder. The pain immediately reminded me of school and physical education classes, where the senior mentor called me nothing but a weakling when I showed my clumsiness in front of the whole class. This memory was followed by the memory of Master Eleanor, and his concern for my fate. I immediately remembered about the device in my backpack.

By touch, I took the screen out of my backpack, turned it on, and a room resembling a workshop and a library at the same time appeared in front of me. The books looked invitingly from the shelves, but I made an effort and turned back. May-e-oka was writhing on the floor. I went up to the girl and examined through the device the hoop on her neck, causing her suffering. Oh the moons, if I had...

I turned to the big table where the book lay open, but behind it, behind it was a frequency emitter. I saw one in the collection of Master Eleanor. Holding the screen with one hand, I took the emitter with my free hand. Taking aim, I counted the frequency of vibrations of the hoop. But when I tried to change it, the device gave me an error and showed insufficient battery power.

Lowering the screen, I sighed heavily, and then realized that both devices were inherited from great ancestors from heaven, so the battery technology should match. By touch, I took the batteries out of the screen and began to look for them on the frequency emitter. I still had to insert the batteries back into the screen to find them on the frequencer. But in the end, I succeeded in replacing it and directed the emitter towards the girl. The machine counted the frequency of vibrations of the hoop, and I began to twist the ring, reducing the intensity.

May-e-oka stopped moaning and became quiet. It was clear that the hoop was working, but it wasn't causing her the same pain as before. I moved the frequency receiver around, looking for other devices, but found nothing.

Turning the screen back on, I looked around the walls. I saw: a balcony; a corridor covered with sand. The shadows of our pursuers moved in it. I couldn't find Sha Zumm, even by increasing the depth of penetration of the screen.

But I found candles in the secret room, there was a whole box of them here. As if the former owner knew that something like this could happen. I had to rearrange the batteries in the frequency receiver again to get a spark, and so I lit up almost the entire room.