That Night

That night I felt like I was reborn

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

That night I felt like I was reborn. Not externally, but internally. It's hard to describe, someone has woken up inside of me who is watching all this. And for a long time he moved around the body, examining my wounds and stitches left after quartering. This process was indifferent, I did not feel anything for the severed arms and ribs, on which the skin hung down. Rough seams held the body together without letting it fall apart. The observer did not delve into the details, there was no assessment on his part, the mind was silent. Until someone came up and inserted the brain back into my head, covered it with a piece of skull, and a screen appeared in my mind, and with it the horror and fear of what was happening.

"Hush, hush," Rob whispered in my ear. "It has already taken root, and soon it will be possible to modify the body."

"What is it?" a voice screamed in my head.

"Don't worry, it's already done. There's no point in panicking, the worst is over."

I tried to jump up and escape, but only tore off my hand tied, as it turned out, to the table.

"Here...I told you, don't be nervous," the young man muttered discontentedly and brought more ropes with which he tied my chest to the table more tightly, and then began to sew my arm back on.

I still tried to twitch, but to no avail. From the tension, I turned off and woke up already untethered on the couch next to the table.

The room looked like a mechanic's warehouse. Somewhere there was an electric light, and somewhere candles. Behind the sofa, the rattling metal could be heard.

"Where am I?" I called out in a voice I didn't recognize and looked at myself. The body was whole. The torn and sewn pieces disappeared. I looked at the smooth young skin on a completely unfamiliar torso and horror seized me from the thought that somewhere here, behind my back, or in the dimension above me is...

"Yes, that's right, worm," Rob nodded, appearing from a pile of junk behind the sofa.

I crawled onto the sofa and screamed.

"You monster, what have you done!?"

My hands ran over my stomach and legs, trying to peel off, clean myself of the dirt that stuck to me forever.

"I just wanted to die! I jumped into this shithole to die! I'm tired of living! I'm tired, I don't want to live without you anymore. I can't... live... without... her anymore..."

And then I remembered. I remembered why I jumped, I remembered the Angel being transported to our asteroid, I remembered the task of the Central Computator. I remembered your face. And goosebumps ran down my back.

"That's better," Rob nodded.

I remembered and remembered, but it seemed that I was simply unable to remember the whole thing. Chunks of my past life were being loaded into my brain. Boring, meaningless life on the launcher without you. And how to find you now? Now that I've become a human-worm... This question took me all day and all evening. And only when the stars colored the sky, I went out to veranda on the roof, where a hand-drawn map lay on the table, held from the gusts of wind by figures of metal horses.