Resistance

The next morning, everything that happened seemed like a dream to me

The next morning, everything that happened seemed like a dream to me. The best thing I could imagine was that I lost my mind. The life of this man on the launcher, which invaded my consciousness along with the worm, the current me strongly did not want to accept. But I could not explain to myself where and how Kaplan flew away.

I tried looking for him. But to no avail, and after prolonged tantrums and tears shed right from the heart, I found a map in the cart and headed for the sunset, where the capital was supposed to be.

Do you know how hard it is not to trust yourself? To feel that consciousness is slipping into the abyss of uncertainty about what you see in front of you. I wanted to grab a straw of clarity, but it dissolved, leaving my head like a porridge of painfully soft pod jam. I lived an ordinary life, mopped the floors, cleaned up after the wounded, dressed them, and seemed to be in my place. And now? Under the thin veil of everyday life there are hidden questions that we do not ask ourselves. Because eating today is more important than understanding who you are. Culture, even as simple as in a hospital, conversations with soldiers, their views and jokes, hides from the piercing cold of the unknown that lurks behind your back. And if you pay attention to it, the surrounding stability disintegrates like a dream.

In these heavy thoughts, I drove up to the dawn gate of Salat Sarai, the capital of the Khanate of the Dial

In these heavy thoughts, I drove up to the dawn gate of Salat Sarai, the capital of the Khanate of the Dial. There was chaos at the checkpoint. The line of nomads stretched to hide behind the walls of the city, and there was not enough military to stop them. Even the shots in the air did not disrupt the flow of people and animals. I directed the cart to the queue.

After several hours and futile attempts to break through, the gates began to close. The screams and crush reached a climax, a couple of stun grenades flew, and a burst from a machine gun went through the crowd. The people who had recoiled, driven to utter despair, rushed at the closing gates with renewed vigor. And the crowd began to drag the selectosaurs along, and with them the cart. An icy hand of fear gripped my heart. When I tried to get off the cart, the air above my head warmed up from a laser beam, and I saw two people on the left turned into charred firebrands. There was a smell of burning, and I fell into the pressing crowd, preparing to say goodbye to my unhealthy personality. But someone's hand grabbed me.