Chapter 28

April 2011 -past-

As the dance quickly approached, the group of six were starting to get excited that they could do something school related with all of them. Even if Luke was taking another girl, Spencer wasn't going to let it completely ruin the whole night. Or at least that's what she hoped.

Ashton told Spencer on more than one occasion that he would make the night worth it, he wanted her to have the best time. Especially with him, but he made sure to keep that part to himself. The night started off great with a simple text.

Ash

We'll be there in 10 minutes. Ready to have the best night of your life?

The girl took a deep breath before picking up her little heels to carry down the stairs. She had a million thoughts running through her mind, but one stood out amongst the others– How was she supposed to have a good time when Luke would be there with another girl?

It took a moment, but once she realized she had been staring at herself in the mirror lost in thought for far too long, she quickly ran downstairs, wincing when she heard her parents arguing in her fathers office. She tried ignoring it, but getting a glimpse outside from the bottom of the stairs, she could see the honey haired boy making his way to the front door.

Her heart dropped to her stomach as her mother yelled again, louder that time. "You're acting like I don't know what's happening, Paul!"

A quick knock at the door and Spencer was already calling over her shoulder. "I got it!" She rushed to the door to open it, revealing Ashton in a suit with flowers in his hand. "Hi–"

"These are for you, and for your mom." He smiled sheepishly, holding the flowers towards the girl. "And my mom said I should shake your dad's hand."

"Uhm... They're both kinda busy right now." She whispered, glancing over her shoulder again.

"Who's at the door, Spencer?" Her father asked, loud enough for the two of them to hear.

"Just Ashton, him and his mom are here to take me to Natalia's before the dance! I'll see you guys tomorrow afternoon!" She called out, taking the flowers and pushing Ashton out the door so she could follow. "I love you guys!"

"Be good sweetheart! Make sure you let us know when you get back to her house after the dance!" That time her mother called back. "And let us know when you start babysitting your friends siblings in the morning!"

Ashton gave her a weird look as she said it, going to open his mouth but she gave him a fleeting, pleading look. "Okay I will, I promise." The short blonde called through the house, debating on running back and grabbing her jacket, seeing as it was already starting to cool down outside. "Uhm, I'm gonna grab my jacket."

"It's okay you–" Ashton started, but was quickly interrupted by the girl's parents starting to argue again.

"Just because I work with her does not mean I'm sleeping with her, Angela." Her father started getting louder, Ashton looking down at the girl with furrowed brows. "Both her, and Fred are working on this with me!"

"I don't need my jacket." Spencer didn't hesitate to close the door behind her, staring up at the boy in hopes he wouldn't question her about it, but she wasn't that lucky. He cared too much.

"Do they fight like that a lot?" He whispered, holding his elbow out for the girl to take. She quietly lied with the shake of her head, then accepted his elbow before walking with him to the van that his mother was waiting in happily.