Chapter 16

January 2013 -past-

Things were different between the two friends for the rest of the day. Of course it was after the events that had taken place. Ashton knew how big of a deal it was for Spencer to lose her virginity, so in her mind, that meant he had to have feelings for her like she did him.

When his mother got home she couldn't help but notice the change between them, it was as if there was something different about the air around them. When she got home her three children and Spencer were watching a movie in the living room. The two little ones wrapped in blankets on the floor in some sort of blanket fort, whereas Ashton and Spencer were on the couch together. She was right beside him, her head on his shoulder with her legs curled under herself and Ashton playing with her fingers unconsciously.

This is all Ashton had wanted for months and months, and it was finally happening a single week before he was set to leave the country. It was destroying him.

"Ashton, honey? Can you help me grab some groceries from the car real quick?" She asked quietly as she walked from the kitchen to the living room. "After that you can go do whatever–" she stopped when she saw her son holding a finger to his lips and pointing down to the blonde asleep on his shoulder.

It was a precious image, she wished she could snap a picture right then.

"She said her parents have been fighting the past couple of nights, so she hasn't been sleeping much." Ashton whispered, glancing at her, then back to his mom. "I don't want to wake her up."

"Don't let her sleep too long, Ashton." His mother warned, her gaze focusing on the blonde asleep on his shoulder again. She worried about her, ever since Ashton accidentally mentioned Spencer may be having troubles at home she did. "I'll be right back, I'll go grab the groceries."

"I know, I know." He playfully rolled his eyes, smiling at the woman as he did so. She started to walk back towards the front door before Ashton spoke up again quietly. Almost sounding scared in a way. "Hey mom?"

She stopped and looked at him with her eyebrows raised, a small smile on her face. "Yes honey?"

"What am I gonna do without her?" His voice wavered, just enough to make his mothers heartbreak at the sound. "What if– what if something happens to her?"

She sighed, giving him a small, sad smile. "Learning to get by without each other will be hard." She paused, thinking and choosing her next words carefully. "You're not going to be here physically, but you kids and your phones... you'll always have each other."

He nodded lightly. "Yeah, yeah you're right."

"She won't be alone then." His mother smiled one last time. "Wake her up soon, you guys can go get dinner or something. I'm going to take the kids to McDonald's so they can play and get the last of their energy out before bed."

"But mom–"

"Don't argue with me." The woman shook her head, a small smile on her face as she headed towards the bed again. "Don't you think you deserve to take her out on one date before you go?"

The honey haired boy sighed quietly as his mom excited the house once again, taking his moment with the girl to leave a soft kiss on her forehead. The fear that he'd never get the chance to do so again laid heavy on him. He didn't want to go. Ashton gently shook her shoulder, watching silently as she furrowed her brows and slowly woke up.

Cheeks quickly growing pink as she realized she had fallen asleep on the boy's shoulder, Spencer sat up with slightly wide eyes. "I'm so sorry, Ash. I didn't mean to fall asleep on you." The embarrassment quickly set in, she shook her head and looked over at him once again. "Just pretend that didn't happen."