Chapter 12

January 2013 -past-

Early Sunday morning, dressed and ready for church in case her parents were to say no, Spencer quietly knocked on her fathers office door. The blonde truly didn't expect it to be as easy as it was to lie to her parents, but she thinks she would have done anything to spend one last day with the boy.

There was a pause after the knock, but after a moment the girl heard her father, Paul Casey, answer from the other side. "Come in, darling." As she stepped through the door, finding him filling out some last minute paperwork, she wasn't surprised to see her mother already in there. "What do you need, Spencer?"

"I had a question , but if you guys could let me explain the reasoning before you just automatically say no I'd appreciate it." Offering a weak smile, Spencer waited for some sort of signal to continue.

She very clearly remembered her parents screaming and fighting before she had left the house the day before, she just didn't understand how they could go from that to sitting peacefully and in love the next day. It was her norm, and she started thinking every relationship was meant to be like that.

"What's going on, honey?" Her mother asked, smiling softly.

Taking a deep breath, Spencer nodded before speaking up quietly. "You guys know my friend Ashton. Ashton Irwin. The one that's given me rides to school or taken me to Natalia's." As she paused to wait for at least one of them to nod, to show they were at least listening, the blonde smoothed out her dress in the front. But as soon as she got confirmation they knew who she was speaking of, she continued to not waste time. Her father hated when people wasted his time. "Well his mom has to go into work today because other people called off or something like that, I don't have all the details, but she doesn't have anyone to watch her younger kids. So I was wondering if just this once... Just this one Sunday-"

"You want to miss church?" Her mother interrupted, raising her eyebrows skeptically. She should have known her mom would be the one to speak up first at the idea, wanting to show her father just how much she cared.

Taking a small breath again, Spencer nodded slowly. "Yes, but only this once because my friend's mom really needs the help. If she doesn't go to work she could get fired and they are struggling with the bills as it is."

"Spencer, could you step out for a second and let your mother and I discuss this, please?" This time her father spoke up, giving her a small smile. She hated when his mood changed so drastically one day to the next. It scared her at times, not knowing when the next moment he could snap would be. But all the same, Spencer nodded and left the office, closing the door behind her. Instantly moving to the kitchen to busy herself with wiping the counter down.

The next couple of minutes felt like hours as the girl hoped and prayed that her parents would be okay with it. That they could agree with her just this once. She just wanted to spend a a few extra hours with one of her best friends before he possibly forgot about her forever.

So when her father finally called her back into the office, her confidence was gone and she felt sick. Nervous that she was about to get scolded for even humoring the idea of missing church. The only time she had been allowed to miss church in the past was when she had been so sick she was bedridden.

"Alright darling, your mother and I talked it over, and because you're doing it to help someone in need we're allowing it this one time." Her father started, glancing from her mother back to her.

Her mother raised her brows, as if to tell her to wait to thank them. "I want you to bring your bible and get some reading done. Just because you're missing church today doesn't mean it's not the lord's day." She paused "But I'm sure he's proud of you for helping your friends family, we have to help those in need."