Chapter 6

January 2013 -past-

Everyone agreed that Luke and Calum telling the girls the news would probably be best, but time after time again, it seemed that at least one of the two had chickened out. Luke specifically had somehow chickened out enough that the blonde girl would be finding out with only a week left before they were set to leave.

Not having even known each other a full three years, it was crazy to think they felt as if they knew each other for all their lives. But that didn't stop Luke from waiting far too long to tell Spencer what was happening, and pushing Ashton closer and closer to telling her himself.

It happened at a birthday party for Calum, just a week before they were set to leave Australia. Ashton had pulled them into Luke's bedroom, obviously nervous as he continued looking between the two of them.

It wasn't until he mumbled he needed to tell them something that he could see in Natalia's face that she knew. Calum had told her himself like he said he would, unlike Luke from the look on Spencer's face. She had no idea about the bomb Ashton was about to drop on her. The oldest boy even debated on getting Calum to tell her, but he felt as if he and the girl had grown closer, maybe even closer than her and Calum.

The brunette was quick to excuse herself to the bathroom before Ashton could break the news. She loved her best friend, but she had a feeling she'd be taking it terribly. But once she knew, a hell of a lot more would start to make sense. Like the mess of clothes everywhere in the room, as if he'd been packing for a long trip.

Spencer was struggling to find any words, lips parted for when she'd finally think of something. But the bedroom door opened before she had the chance, the youngest of the boys walking in, surprised to find Ashton and the blonde in there. He froze when he saw the look on Spencer's face.

"You're leaving in a week?" She finally forced out, eyes focused on Luke, willing herself not to cry.

Adjusting his bandana, the older of the two stepped towards the door, offering Luke a small smile. "I'll let the two of you talk alone." Slipping past Luke, Ashton was out of the room quickly, but not before glancing over his shoulder at the blonde one last time.

"Spencer, I-"

"Why didn't you just tell me?" She whispered, hoping it'd be enough to hide the crack in her voice. "Is this- is this why you broke up with me?"

"I wanted to tell you, so so bad but I just kept getting so scared that you'd hate me and I didn't want to lose you, Spence." He quickly started rambling, stepping towards the girl. "I had to have tried at least like- ten times."

She stared, breath caught in her throat before she could force anything out. "Ten times? How long have you known about this?"

Luke didn't want to answer that question, he knew it would only make the girl more upset with him and probably push her to Ashton. He always had some sort of suspicion that his friend liked his girlfriend, but he was never worried about it. "A little over a month." He finally admitted, looking at the ground. "I just- I know I should have told you sooner and not broken up with you like that but I had never broken up with someone before and I just didn't want to ruin our last couple weeks together but I did anyway and I'm so sor-"

"It's fine, Luke." The blonde shook her head, avoiding his gaze. "I would have been scared to tell me too. Maybe we should just go enjoy the rest of the party." She paused. "Kinda looks like this will be the last birthday we all celebrate together for awhile."

With a quiet sigh, he nodded a few times before going to reach for her hand. But she was quick to move it away and hold it against her chest. Th two met eyes for a mere second before she turned and started to leave the room, Luke stuck in his place as he watched the girl leave.