Chapter 26

October 2012 -past-

"You're gonna be sixteen, Spencer! We have to have a party." Natalia whined, frowning at her best friend. "Please?"

"I don't want to do anything for my birthday, I just want to hang out with everyone." The blonde sighed, sitting back on the couch and looking at the tv.

"But what if–" Natalia started again but Ashton was quick to cut her off, sitting on the other end of the couch.

"Fine, no party." He smiled lightly. He wasn't even sure what Luke had been planning for the girl, but he was sure he could convince the youngest boy not to do anything too big. "Just the six of us, yeah?"

"Please." Spencer smiled at the honey haired boy. "I don't even want presents."

"I can't promise that but, I'm sure I can convince a few people that you don't need a huge party." Ashton winked at the girl before turning his attention back to the tv. Since meeting almost two years earlier, the two had grown closer every time the boy would drive Spencer home, or even to school sometimes.

"Thank you." The blonde smiled and also turned back to the tv, leaving Natalia to practically pout between them.

"Fine, but for my birthday I want a party."

-

"Oh come on Spence, just put the blindfold on." Luke begged, stopping in front of the girl with the best set of puppy dog eyes he could muster. "Don't ruin the surprise."

"What surprise?" She laughed, taking the makeshift blindfold from him and rolling her eyes. "I told you I didn't want to do anything for my birthday."

"It's not for your–" he stopped himself and let out a small breath. "Just please, for me?"

"Fine." Spencer whispered, looking down at the fabric before letting him take it back and tie it over her eyes.

"You and Nat have been in Aus for a little over two years now." He rolled his eyes at his own lie as he finished tying it over her eyes. "So– we're celebrating that."

"I'm pretty sure that was like two months ago, but okay." The girl laughed as Luke looked at Ashton in the driver's seat. "Can I have a hint at least?"

"Ashton is driving us, that's the only hint you get." Luke laughed, helping the girl into the back seat and buckling her, then doing the same for himself. "And you'll have fun, I promise."

She sighed happily, leaning her head back against the seat as Ashton pulled out of the driveway. "I believe you, but I'm not responsible if I end up getting mad at you guys for anything you have planned."

"You're gonna love it, Spence." Ashton spoke up quietly, continuing to glance in the rear view mirror at the girl. He'd hoped he was right, the whole idea was actually his idea that he sort of planted in Luke's head.

Upon hearing Ashton say she'd like it, she believed it and stopped worrying. He had promised to make sure it wasn't a big party, and she trusted him more than anyone else. To pass the time, the hazel-haired boy turned on the radio, the three of them singing along terribly on purpose for the remainder of the short drive before Luke grabbed the blonde's hands again.

"Okay– I'm gonna come to your side of the car and help you out." Luke's voice was giddy, and the blonde started getting excited for whatever he had planned. After the car door closed and the other side opened, she felt him reach across to unbuckle her, and carefully took her hands to help her out of the car.

"Can I take off this blindfold now?" She asked quietly as soon as her foot got caught on something and she tripped into Luke's side. "It'd be really helpful if I could see right now."

Luke laughed quietly, helping her walk some more, being more cautious. "Just a few more steps, I promise." He held both her hands gently, leading the girl only a little bit farther before they stopped. "Okay, Jelly Bean, you can take it off." Luke whispered, moving away from the girl.

The cool breeze caused the girl to shiver even though when they left the house it was the perfect temperature outside. She was quick to bring her hands to the bow on the back of her head and untie the makeshift blindfold. Her cheeks warmed before her entire body followed shortly after, and she set eyes on what seemed to be a picnic with her closest friends.

"A picnic?" Spencer whispered, looking over to Luke where he wore an excited grin. "This is perfect."

"You like it?" He grabbed the blonde's hand and started pulling her over to the rest of their friends that were waiting on a large blanket, Ashton trailing behind.

"I love it." She whispered, turning to look at him before they had made it all the way to their friends. "I love you."

Before Spencer even processed it, he pulled her into a quick kiss, so full of happiness and joy. "I love you too." He whispered back. "Let's go celebrate your birthday."

-

After the group of six had eaten the lunch that Ashton's mom had so kindly packed, some decided to swim, while others stayed on the blanket. Michael, Ashton, and Spencer watched the other three run towards the small lake, playfully shoving each other until they were all in the freezing water.

"Hey Ash, I think I left my phone in your car, can I go grab it?" Michael spoke up, looking over at the oldest of the friends.

"Yeah, the keys are in the picnic basket." He smiled, leaning back onto his hands and looking out at the water.

Once Michael had walked back to the car, it was at least out of earshot, Spencer glanced at Ashton a couple of times before she finally said something. "I'm sure I have you to thank for this entire idea." She spoke up quietly, pausing for a moment. "This is perfect, thank you."

"All I did was make sure Luke and Nat didn't invite other people." He chuckled, looking at the blonde. "They're the ones that planned it."

"Cal already told me your mom packed the food for us, and that you had come up with the idea together." She paused again. "Do you think you could make sure your mom knows how thankful I am?" She asked in a hopeful way, and Ashton instantly felt like he had to look away for a moment. "Your mom– I just– really love Ann. You're so lucky to have her as a mom. She cares about you so much."

Ashton did his best not to show it, but no matter his efforts, his face fell. No one should ever feel like someone else is lucky compared to their own relationship with their mom. "I'll tell her." He answered. "Actually I'm sure my mom would love to have everyone over for dinner again. Can we plan that?"

"Yeah, just let me know and I can ask my parents." Spencer whispered, laying back and closing her eyes.

"I'll talk to my mom about it tomorrow." He smiled, looking down at the girl. All he could focus on was that she was dating Luke. How he was jealous. "Are you having a good time?"

"I think this is the best birthday I've ever had." She peaked her eyes open at the oldest boy just as Michael walked back over. "Spending it with the six of us and only the six of us is relaxing. It's just what I wanted."

"Have you started planning Nat's birthday?" Michael sat between Spencer and Ashton, unknowingly disappointing the both of them.

"Yes– well kind of." The blonde pushed herself to sit up, hugging her legs to her chest. "I actually need Ashton's help since I don't know any of her other friends from school."

"She wants a big party, Spence." Michael spoke up again, almost in a warning tone.

"I know, that's exactly why I need Ashton to invite people from their school. The only other names I know that she's talked about was..." she trailed off and looked for her phone for a moment. Once she grabbed it she quickly went to her notes app. "Kayley Wilson, and Devin Acker."