Chapter 22

December 2015

Spencer and Sebastian had been married for just over a year. They were happy... enough. Or at least they were good enough at making that seem the case. But neither of them wanted to admit that they thought they made a mistake.

In Spencer's eyes she could never leave her husband. She knew that no matter what, she made a vow to stay with him and she couldn't change that, it's how she was raised. But she felt like a terrible wife when someone else was constantly on her mind. Even if she hadn't talked to them in almost two years.

"Hey babe, can we talk?" Sebastian spoke up quietly, stepping into the kitchen where Spencer had been starting to make the two of them some dinner. He had gotten home from work and instantly went to their bedroom to shower, the blonde had a feeling something was up.

"What's up?" She smiled and turned around, but her smile dropped as soon as she saw the look on her husband's face. "What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"Can we just– want to sit with me?" He smiled weakly, holding his hand out to the girl in hopes that the conversation would go smoother than it did in his head.

Spencer was already nodding and turning off the stove and the burner she had on, smiling weakly before turning to look at him again. "Yeah, let's go." She took her husband's hand, and he proceeded to lead the two of them to their bedroom where he sat on the bed.

"Okay, so uhm–" He took a deep breath, smiling at her again and sighing a moment later. "I love you, Spencer."

"I love you too, Seb." She whispered, studying him quietly. "What's going on?"

"I really do love you. I know I do... but there's a part of me that feels like we rushed into this so fast." He whispered, looking down at the bed. "Too fast maybe."

"Oh." Was all she could say at first, nodding her head slowly. Spencer had to process that her husband was saying out loud what she had been thinking for a few months at that point. But she couldn't help but worry, he didn't want a divorce... did he?

Sebastian took a deep breath, squeezing her hand lightly. "I know how your mom is, and I know you're not going to want to." he paused, meeting her eyes. "But would it be so wrong for us to get divorced?"

There it was. The word she had been too scared to say out loud herself for months, scared to disappoint her husband and her mother. She didn't want to hurt him, she did love him. Spencer Sage Greenwood was brought up to stay with her husband through everything, and that divorce was one of the worst sins she could ever commit. "You want to divorce me?" She whispered, shock written all over her face, clear as day.

"Only if you absolutely want to." He quickly shook his head. "I just feel like we didn't get to live our lives at all and we both have been a little too focused on other things."

With furrowed brows, she shook her head lightly. "What do you mean?"

Sebastian couldn't help the little chuckle that fell from his lips, realizing she didn't remember it. "You've been talking in your sleep a lot recently." he smiled softly, running his hand through his hair. "If I remember correctly, Ashton was the guy you liked back when you lived in Australia?"

"I– well I mean–" she looked at the bed, embarrassed at what he was implying. Had she been talking about Ashton in her sleep? "Yeah."

"I'm not telling you to go find him and run away together or anything." The boy chuckled again, lifting Spencer's chin to meet her eyes. "I just don't think either of us are as invested in this marriage as we hoped."