Chapter 21

September 2017

"Yes mom..." Spencer sighed into the phone early that morning, her mothers constant calling waking her up just minutes earlier. The month would be starting with her mother and ex husband in the same house, and to say she wasn't excited was an understatement. "I heard you– yes. You're going to be landing at nine tonight."

"And if I land at nine, what time are you going to be there?" She questioned again as if the two of them hadn't gone over it three times already. "Spencer Sage?"

"I'll be there before nine, mom, I promise." The daughter groaned. "You won't even have your luggage until like– a quarter to ten anyway but yeah, I'll sit in my car in the parking garage."

"Okay Darling, I'll see you later tonight. Please have my bed made up for me already since it will be so late by the time we get back to your house." She said happily. "I can't wait to see you and Sebastian, it's been so long."

"Sounds good mom." Spencer sighed quietly, and set her phone down after hearing her mother hang up. "Fuck." She mumbled to herself, pushing herself to stand up.

Making her way to the living room, the blonde found Sebastian still sleeping peacefully on the couch. She wasn't sure how to get around the two of them having to share a bed, but if they had to it wasn't the end of the world. The two were comfortable with each other.

As she pushed the thought to the back of her mind for now, she pulled out her phone again knowing Ashton would be the only one awake so early.

spence
Hey are you up? would you wanna get breakfast with me?

ash
I'll pick you up in 15

Spencer quickly scribbled a note to leave for her husband, and left her car keys for him on the off chance he needed to go anywhere while she was out. Her morning spent with Ashton was exactly hat she needed before she'd be forced to spend time with her mother. He had no problem getting her to smile and laugh, and even further, making her fall a little farther for him every time they hung out.

"Call me if you need anything Spence." He whispered, looking over at her from the driver's side of his car. "I'll be here in an instant ready to save you from your mom or your ex-husband."

"I think everything will be fine, but I know you're on call." She smiled widely, trying not to laugh. "Thank you for breakfast this morning, you didn't have to pay."

"I wanted to." He leaned across the middle and kissed the corner of the mouth, then her cheek right after as if the first kiss was a mistake. "Keep me updated throughout the week and let me know if I can see you at all. Going a week without seeing you sounds like torture."

"It should be easy after years of not seeing each other." She laughed quietly, her cheeks going pink. But Spencer knew it'd be hard for her too, she had gotten so used to seeing the honey haired boy everyday. It had become part of her normal. He had become part of her normal.

"It's still going to be hard." He whispered, giving her a sideways smile before reaching over and pushing some hair from her face. "I'm gonna kiss you now, okay?"

The girl only nodded slightly before Ashton leaned closer and pressed his lips against hers, moving his hand to her jawline and the side of her neck. He barely pulled away before mumbling against her lips. "Don't make me wait all week to do this again." He pressed his lips to hers for a second more before pulling away fully.

"I'll do my best." She whispered, smiling at him as her cheeks continued to heat. "I need to make sure everything is ready before going to pick up my mom later."